Re: [PPLetterpress] vandercook 4

  • livres@artnet.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
      Isn't Vandercook a Tradename and as such establich as a Brand, you
      call Xerox a Xerox even if the machine you use is a OCE or other.

      Terminology has a place and a meaning so we can talk to each other
      and can be understood.

      Not like the bunch of Book Arts Folks who just trotted through my
      shop, everything is Uh and ah, and what do dou you call that Thing,
      what is that thing on that thing.

      if we let it slide, we will that thing to do that thing on this thing
      to get that thing to have a watchamacallit.

      charles

      On Sep 13, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Dan Franklin wrote:

      > In a recent post, Elinor Nissley uses the term 'Vandercookesque.'
      > Since we're on the general topic of letterpress terminology, I would
      > like the sense of the group on the adjective for 'Vandercook.'
      >
      > Is it 'Vandercookesque,' as Elinor would have it? Or 'Vandercookian'?
      > Perhaps, in a nod to the neoterics in our midst, 'Vanderculinary'? We
      > are making linguistic history here. Have your say!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Printmaker
      (Letterpress & Intaglio)

      ------------------------------------
      L.A Book Arts, Inc.
      The Custom Bindery
      Krause Intaglio
      310.360.7265
      www.Custombindery.com
      --------------------------------------
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
        Visit Paul Moxon's Vandercook web page and you'll find his long standing Vandercookie reference, and a new Vanderblog, still in the development stage. And, those of us who deal with the maintenance of these things, the term Vanderwrecker has just recently emerged. As I am the last and current owner of the trademark itself, have fun.

        Fritz

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
          Elinor,

          Yes, the Vandercook 4 has been spoken for. Just tying up the details now.
          -D

          From: Elinor Nissley <elinor@...>
          Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:39:38 -0700
          To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [PPLetterpress] vandercook 4

          Does anyone know if that Vandercook 4 got snatched up? I forwarded the info
          to a friend in the market for a Vandercook, but he reported that the voice
          mail message was suspiciously odd.

          BUT WHILE I'M ON THE SUBJECT: my friend is in the market for a flatbed,
          Vandercookesque press. His specialty is silkscreening-he is a commercial
          artist who is branching into more experimental gallery work-but is looking
          to do more relief printing. He wants to print ~100 runs which kind of
          eliminates etching presses. A Vandercook seems like a natural for him.
          HOWEVER, he is not, like most of us letterpress printers, particularly
          worried about how clean the prints are. As such a somewhat less reliable
          model would be OK. I can't imagine not wanting the press to be as perfect
          as possible, but there it is. So if anyone knows of a slightly wonky beater
          of a flatbed press looking for a home in the LA area, please let me know.
          Or nice ones too-maybe I can talk some sense into him...

          Thanks!

          Elinor

        • Mark Wilden
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
            There are also Vanderfolk and Vanderchicks.

            > Visit Paul Moxon's Vandercook web page and you'll find his long standing
            > Vandercookie reference, and a new Vanderblog, still in the development
            > stage. And, those of us who deal with the maintenance of these things, the
            > term Vanderwrecker has just recently emerged. As I am the last and current
            > owner of the trademark itself, have fun.
          • Arie Koelewyn
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
              I think Vandercoot might apply to quite a few of us.

              --
              ---Arie Koelewyn
              The Paper Airplane Press

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                Don't forget Vanderlust... and of course, this Vanderlist!

                At 10:34 PM -0400 13 09 06, Arie Koelewyn wrote:
                >I think Vandercoot might apply to quite a few of us.
                >
                >--
                >---Arie Koelewyn

                Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
                Philosophy Fonts Lettering

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                  First I ever saw of a derivation was in good ole Type & Press.

                  http://www.apa-letterpress.org/T%20%26%20P%20ARTICLES/T%20%26%20P%20Index.html

                  Vandy. Don't like any of em much but Vanderblog does look promising.

                  http://vandercookpress.info//vanderblog/

                  Gerald
                  http:BielerPress.blogspont.com
                • Casey McGarr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                    If you own two or more Vandercooks does it feel like you live in Vandercooklund and you are
                    a Vandercookonian or Vandercookite in the age of Vandercookism.

                    Casey
                  • v918man
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                      Ok vanderdorks. I've official launched the vanderblog as part of Vandercookpress.info.

                      Now hopefully, those you want to discuss photopolymer and digital type on this excellent
                      forum wont be perturbed by vanderblather.

                      Paul, vanderbandwagoneer

                    • bill_whitley@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                        Paul,

                        vanderbandwagoneer?

                        More like Vanderchef...

                        Bill

                        (who has already signed up)

                        8)

                        From: "v918man" <moxon@...>
                        > Ok vanderdorks. I've official launched the vanderblog as part of
                        > Vandercookpress.info.
                        >
                        > Now hopefully, those you want to discuss photopolymer and digital type on this
                        > excellent
                        > forum wont be perturbed by vanderblather.
                        >
                        > Paul, vanderbandwagoneer
                        >

                        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If you own two or more Vandercooks does it feel like you live in
                        > Vandercooklund and you
                        > are
                        > > a Vandercookonian or Vandercookite in the age of Vandercookism.
                        > >
                        > > Casey

                      • Vivian Leung
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                          And if I'd had to curse at my press, should I say "Vand-dang"??

                          Vivian

                          On Sep 14, 2006, at 1:35 PM, bill_whitley@... wrote:

                          > Paul,
                          >
                          > vanderbandwagoneer?
                          >
                          > More like Vanderchef...
                          >
                          > Bill
                          >
                          > (who has already signed up)
                          >
                          > 8)

                          > From: "v918man" <moxon@...>
                          > > Ok vanderdorks. I've official launched the vanderblog as part of
                          > > Vandercookpress.info.
                          > >
                          > > Now hopefully, those you want to discuss photopolymer and digital
                          > type on this
                          > > excellent
                          > > forum wont be perturbed by vanderblather.
                          > >
                          > > Paul, vanderbandwagoneer
                          > >

                          > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > If you own two or more Vandercooks does it feel like you live in
                          > > Vandercooklund and you
                          > > are
                          > > > a Vandercookonian or Vandercookite in the age of Vandercookism.
                          > > >
                          > > > Casey

                        • v918man
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                            Speak sweetly, especially as you clean and oil it before each use. Save your cursing for
                            platens. Ha, ha!

                            Gerald, I promise no more o this from me. </nonsense>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 23, 2006
                              If you use a Vandercook go to

                              http://vandercookpress.info//vanderblog/

                              (which popped up on the radar a couple of weeks ago) and register.

                              Seriously.