Re: [PPLetterpress] vandercook 4

  • Dan Franklin
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
      In a recent post, Elinor Nissley uses the term 'Vandercookesque.'
      Since we're on the general topic of letterpress terminology, I would
      like the sense of the group on the adjective for 'Vandercook.'

      Is it 'Vandercookesque,' as Elinor would have it? Or 'Vandercookian'?
      Perhaps, in a nod to the neoterics in our midst, 'Vanderculinary'? We
      are making linguistic history here. Have your say!
    • livres@artnet.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
        Isn't Vandercook a Tradename and as such establich as a Brand, you
        call Xerox a Xerox even if the machine you use is a OCE or other.

        Terminology has a place and a meaning so we can talk to each other
        and can be understood.

        Not like the bunch of Book Arts Folks who just trotted through my
        shop, everything is Uh and ah, and what do dou you call that Thing,
        what is that thing on that thing.

        if we let it slide, we will that thing to do that thing on this thing
        to get that thing to have a watchamacallit.

        charles

        On Sep 13, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Dan Franklin wrote:

        > In a recent post, Elinor Nissley uses the term 'Vandercookesque.'
        > Since we're on the general topic of letterpress terminology, I would
        > like the sense of the group on the adjective for 'Vandercook.'
        >
        > Is it 'Vandercookesque,' as Elinor would have it? Or 'Vandercookian'?
        > Perhaps, in a nod to the neoterics in our midst, 'Vanderculinary'? We
        > are making linguistic history here. Have your say!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Printmaker
        (Letterpress & Intaglio)

        ------------------------------------
        L.A Book Arts, Inc.
        The Custom Bindery
        Krause Intaglio
        310.360.7265
        www.Custombindery.com
        --------------------------------------
      • e_nissley
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
          For what its worth, i *do* like Vandercookian...

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Dan Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

          > In a recent post, Elinor Nissley uses the term 'Vandercookesque.'
          > Since we're on the general topic of letterpress terminology, I would
          > like the sense of the group on the adjective for 'Vandercook.'
          >
          > Is it 'Vandercookesque,' as Elinor would have it?
          Or 'Vandercookian'?
          > Perhaps, in a nod to the neoterics in our midst, 'Vanderculinary'?
          We
          > are making linguistic history here. Have your say!

        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
            Visit Paul Moxon's Vandercook web page and you'll find his long standing Vandercookie reference, and a new Vanderblog, still in the development stage. And, those of us who deal with the maintenance of these things, the term Vanderwrecker has just recently emerged. As I am the last and current owner of the trademark itself, have fun.

            Fritz

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
              Elinor,

              Yes, the Vandercook 4 has been spoken for. Just tying up the details now.
              -D

              From: Elinor Nissley <elinor@...>
              Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:39:38 -0700
              To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [PPLetterpress] vandercook 4

              Does anyone know if that Vandercook 4 got snatched up? I forwarded the info
              to a friend in the market for a Vandercook, but he reported that the voice
              mail message was suspiciously odd.

              BUT WHILE I'M ON THE SUBJECT: my friend is in the market for a flatbed,
              Vandercookesque press. His specialty is silkscreening-he is a commercial
              artist who is branching into more experimental gallery work-but is looking
              to do more relief printing. He wants to print ~100 runs which kind of
              eliminates etching presses. A Vandercook seems like a natural for him.
              HOWEVER, he is not, like most of us letterpress printers, particularly
              worried about how clean the prints are. As such a somewhat less reliable
              model would be OK. I can't imagine not wanting the press to be as perfect
              as possible, but there it is. So if anyone knows of a slightly wonky beater
              of a flatbed press looking for a home in the LA area, please let me know.
              Or nice ones too-maybe I can talk some sense into him...

              Thanks!

              Elinor

            • Mark Wilden
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                There are also Vanderfolk and Vanderchicks.

                > Visit Paul Moxon's Vandercook web page and you'll find his long standing
                > Vandercookie reference, and a new Vanderblog, still in the development
                > stage. And, those of us who deal with the maintenance of these things, the
                > term Vanderwrecker has just recently emerged. As I am the last and current
                > owner of the trademark itself, have fun.
              • Arie Koelewyn
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                  I think Vandercoot might apply to quite a few of us.

                  --
                  ---Arie Koelewyn
                  The Paper Airplane Press

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                    Don't forget Vanderlust... and of course, this Vanderlist!

                    At 10:34 PM -0400 13 09 06, Arie Koelewyn wrote:
                    >I think Vandercoot might apply to quite a few of us.
                    >
                    >--
                    >---Arie Koelewyn

                    Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
                    Philosophy Fonts Lettering

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                      First I ever saw of a derivation was in good ole Type & Press.

                      http://www.apa-letterpress.org/T%20%26%20P%20ARTICLES/T%20%26%20P%20Index.html

                      Vandy. Don't like any of em much but Vanderblog does look promising.

                      http://vandercookpress.info//vanderblog/

                      Gerald
                      http:BielerPress.blogspont.com
                    • Casey McGarr
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                        If you own two or more Vandercooks does it feel like you live in Vandercooklund and you are
                        a Vandercookonian or Vandercookite in the age of Vandercookism.

                        Casey
                      • v918man
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                          Ok vanderdorks. I've official launched the vanderblog as part of Vandercookpress.info.

                          Now hopefully, those you want to discuss photopolymer and digital type on this excellent
                          forum wont be perturbed by vanderblather.

                          Paul, vanderbandwagoneer

                        • bill_whitley@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                            Paul,

                            vanderbandwagoneer?

                            More like Vanderchef...

                            Bill

                            (who has already signed up)

                            8)

                            From: "v918man" <moxon@...>
                            > Ok vanderdorks. I've official launched the vanderblog as part of
                            > Vandercookpress.info.
                            >
                            > Now hopefully, those you want to discuss photopolymer and digital type on this
                            > excellent
                            > forum wont be perturbed by vanderblather.
                            >
                            > Paul, vanderbandwagoneer
                            >

                            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > If you own two or more Vandercooks does it feel like you live in
                            > Vandercooklund and you
                            > are
                            > > a Vandercookonian or Vandercookite in the age of Vandercookism.
                            > >
                            > > Casey

                          • Vivian Leung
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                              And if I'd had to curse at my press, should I say "Vand-dang"??

                              Vivian

                              On Sep 14, 2006, at 1:35 PM, bill_whitley@... wrote:

                              > Paul,
                              >
                              > vanderbandwagoneer?
                              >
                              > More like Vanderchef...
                              >
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > (who has already signed up)
                              >
                              > 8)

                              > From: "v918man" <moxon@...>
                              > > Ok vanderdorks. I've official launched the vanderblog as part of
                              > > Vandercookpress.info.
                              > >
                              > > Now hopefully, those you want to discuss photopolymer and digital
                              > type on this
                              > > excellent
                              > > forum wont be perturbed by vanderblather.
                              > >
                              > > Paul, vanderbandwagoneer
                              > >

                              > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > If you own two or more Vandercooks does it feel like you live in
                              > > Vandercooklund and you
                              > > are
                              > > > a Vandercookonian or Vandercookite in the age of Vandercookism.
                              > > >
                              > > > Casey

                            • v918man
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                                Speak sweetly, especially as you clean and oil it before each use. Save your cursing for
                                platens. Ha, ha!

                                Gerald, I promise no more o this from me. </nonsense>

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 23, 2006
                                  If you use a Vandercook go to

                                  http://vandercookpress.info//vanderblog/

                                  (which popped up on the radar a couple of weeks ago) and register.

                                  Seriously.