Re:Brass Caps was The Type Table

  • Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11 5:32 PM
      These typecases with the cross over being clasped and riveted were manufactured by Stephenson Blake and were described by them as Sheffield cases. The clasps were brass re-enforcements that stopped the rivet from pulling through. They are very close to the top and do not interfere with the type at all. Any possible damage to the type would be extremely unlikely. Essentially the partitions were fixed to the plywood bottom of the cases with very long rivets which were climped over underneath. The brass clasps are very decorative and can be polished to a very good shine.
      There was, at one time, a market for cases which had been dip cleaned, waxed and the brasses polished. These were sold in craft and antique fairs as display shelving for small ornaments. The prices charge were unbelievable.
      I have tried hard to keep my type in cases of this sort and so have quite a number. Keeping the brass polished, however, is not a task I undertake too often.

      Mike, at the Cockleshell Press, England.