Re: FWD: The Type Table

  • Michael Babcock
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2006
      I'm setting some Card Light Litho from a triple cap case made by Hamilton that has these.

      It's an older style 'lip front' case design before they went to the 'dust free' with the
      HAMILTON pulls. well made maple case, but the bottom is paper lined and it has oxidized
      and brittled. plus the lip front demands that it house in an open rack, or the topmost spot
      in a dust free as this odd-ball case does in my shop.

      i'd actually like a few quad cap cases in dust free design if anyone has some to part with.

      mjb

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
        Mo

        There was a case that sold on eBay today that had these corner braces
        (not locks) and the fellow termed them "brass caps, sometimes known as
        keepers." I always liked them but don't know that they would allow for
        maximum filling of the case. I'd be afraid of them scratching the type
        metal. Interesting to me is that in all the web discussion of the Type
        Table that no one has yet complained about Hrant's calling the case a
        drawer, which, of course, etymologically, it is.

        ps: Hrant wrote and said the case had Stephenson Blake markings.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
          At 9:27 PM +0000 8 09 06, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >Below is an item sent to me by the type designer Hrant Papazian, one
          >of our members and and ex-student of mine.

          Hrant -- (if you're out there)

          This is really gorgeous.
          I'd order one, but don't have room in my wee miner's cabin here in Galena!
          I guess Berlow will have that one-up on me as well!
          (there are others, no doubt, too numerous to enumerate... er, too many to count :-)

          Good work indeed!

          >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >ps: I don't recall this being my idea (!) but if so it was because
          >Hrant only has one typecase and didn't know how to store it.

          A minimalist typographer, eh?

          :-)

          PF

          >Hey - so here it is:
          >http://typophile.com/node/28118
          >And more photos here:
          >http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/sets/72157594275303912/
          >
          >. . .
          >
          >2) Please pass it along to the PPL list if you can.
          >
          >Thanks Much,
          >Hrant

          Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

          Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
          Philosophy Fonts Lettering

          --
        • wa0dfw@copper.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
            Sometimes we get so carried away insisting on correct terminology
            that we let the subtle difference between "cases" and "drawers" or
            "Galleys" and "trays" obfuscate matter at hand.

            I even catch myself using the wrong terms at times.

            Mo