FWD: The Type Table

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
      Below is an item sent to me by the type designer Hrant Papazian, one
      of our members and and ex-student of mine.

      ps: I don't recall this being my idea (!) but if so it was because
      Hrant only has one typecase and didn't know how to store it.

      Hey - so here it is:
      http://typophile.com/node/28118
      And more photos here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/sets/72157594275303912/

      . . .

      2) Please pass it along to the PPL list if you can.

      Thanks Much,
      Hrant
    • wa0dfw@copper.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
        First time I've seen such a case, with brass pieces on each place the
        divisions cross. Very nice idea.

        Mo
        >Below is an item sent to me by the type designer Hrant Papazian, one
        >of our members and and ex-student of mine.
        >
        >Gerald
        >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
        >ps: I don't recall this being my idea (!) but if so it was because
        >Hrant only has one typecase and didn't know how to store it.
        >

        >Hey - so here it is:
        >http://typophile.com/node/28118
        >And more photos here:
        >http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/sets/72157594275303912/
        >
        >. . .
        >
        >2) Please pass it along to the PPL list if you can.
        >
        >Thanks Much,
        >Hrant

      • Donna Colomby
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
          THAT is a beautiful table (and it can do double duty as a little marketing
          and conversation piece.) I love it. Thanks for sharing.

          -Donna

          From: <wa0dfw@...>
          Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 05:35:39 +0000
          To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: RE: [PPLetterpress] FWD: The Type Table

          First time I've seen such a case, with brass pieces on each place the
          divisions cross. Very nice idea.

          Mo
          >Below is an item sent to me by the type designer Hrant Papazian, one
          >of our members and and ex-student of mine.
          >
          >Gerald
          >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >ps: I don't recall this being my idea (!) but if so it was because
          >Hrant only has one typecase and didn't know how to store it.
          >

          >Hey - so here it is:
          >http://typophile.com/node/28118
          >And more photos here:
          >http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/sets/72157594275303912/
          >
          >. . .
          >
          >2) Please pass it along to the PPL list if you can.
          >
          >Thanks Much,
          >Hrant

        • Graham and Kathy
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
            What a fine looking piece of work the table is. Thanks for the photos.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            http://www.inclinepress.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
              Mo

              This case was from an English manufacturer, I can't recall the
              manufacturer's name. The little brass corner locks were a common
              feature of their cases. A little touch of class.

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, wa0dfw@... wrote:

              > First time I've seen such a case, with brass pieces on each place the
              > divisions cross. Very nice idea.
              >
              > Mo
              > >Below is an item sent to me by the type designer Hrant Papazian, one
              > >of our members and and ex-student of mine.
              > >
              > >Gerald
              > >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
              > >ps: I don't recall this being my idea (!) but if so it was because
              > >Hrant only has one typecase and didn't know how to store it.
              > >

              > >Hey - so here it is:
              > >http://typophile.com/node/28118
              > >And more photos here:
              > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/sets/72157594275303912/
              > >
              > >. . .
              > >
              > >2) Please pass it along to the PPL list if you can.
              > >
              > >Thanks Much,
              > >Hrant

            • Michael Babcock
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2006
                I'm setting some Card Light Litho from a triple cap case made by Hamilton that has these.

                It's an older style 'lip front' case design before they went to the 'dust free' with the
                HAMILTON pulls. well made maple case, but the bottom is paper lined and it has oxidized
                and brittled. plus the lip front demands that it house in an open rack, or the topmost spot
                in a dust free as this odd-ball case does in my shop.

                i'd actually like a few quad cap cases in dust free design if anyone has some to part with.

                mjb

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Mo

                  There was a case that sold on eBay today that had these corner braces
                  (not locks) and the fellow termed them "brass caps, sometimes known as
                  keepers." I always liked them but don't know that they would allow for
                  maximum filling of the case. I'd be afraid of them scratching the type
                  metal. Interesting to me is that in all the web discussion of the Type
                  Table that no one has yet complained about Hrant's calling the case a
                  drawer, which, of course, etymologically, it is.

                  ps: Hrant wrote and said the case had Stephenson Blake markings.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                    At 9:27 PM +0000 8 09 06, Gerald Lange wrote:
                    >Below is an item sent to me by the type designer Hrant Papazian, one
                    >of our members and and ex-student of mine.

                    Hrant -- (if you're out there)

                    This is really gorgeous.
                    I'd order one, but don't have room in my wee miner's cabin here in Galena!
                    I guess Berlow will have that one-up on me as well!
                    (there are others, no doubt, too numerous to enumerate... er, too many to count :-)

                    Good work indeed!

                    >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                    >ps: I don't recall this being my idea (!) but if so it was because
                    >Hrant only has one typecase and didn't know how to store it.

                    A minimalist typographer, eh?

                    :-)

                    PF

                    >Hey - so here it is:
                    >http://typophile.com/node/28118
                    >And more photos here:
                    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/sets/72157594275303912/
                    >
                    >. . .
                    >
                    >2) Please pass it along to the PPL list if you can.
                    >
                    >Thanks Much,
                    >Hrant

                    Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

                    Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
                    Philosophy Fonts Lettering

                    --
                  • wa0dfw@copper.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                      Sometimes we get so carried away insisting on correct terminology
                      that we let the subtle difference between "cases" and "drawers" or
                      "Galleys" and "trays" obfuscate matter at hand.

                      I even catch myself using the wrong terms at times.

                      Mo