Generating direct to film

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2001
      Linda Dare at Otis Laboratory Press has successfully worked out a way
      of printing direct to negative film on a laser printer by using a
      product called Laser Buddy (used in the silk screen industry). This
      supposedly increases the opacity without effecting translucency. She
      suggests it works well for illustrative matter.

      I suspect that with laser printers now capable of generating at
      1200dpi (which is camera ready quality) and others, such as the Xante,
      capable of generating at 2400dpi (minimum imagesetter dpi for film),
      this may be an eventual way of generating film negatives in-house for
      type also, though I also suspect the letterform optimization will be
      even more crucial here.

      * I have previously considered the Xante because of its ability to
      generate direct to film and/or photopolymer, but these materials
      (which I've looked at) are not yet at the quality standard required
      for letterpress, nor were they intended for such use.

      I have asked Linda to come on board here, and perhaps when she does,
      she will explain this in more detail.

      Gerald
    • Dr P.B. Watry
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
        Gerry

        We do have a Xante Platemaker 3 over here which we use mainly as our
        networked printer in the department. For this purpose, it's great;
        although I don't think it would produce output of sufficient
        quality to support PP letterpress printing. If anyone has had
        experience with this, please get in touch with me (reply to the list).

        Cheers
        Paul

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
          Dear Paul

          If I remember Xante had a special piece of equipment that you would
          put the film in to process the negatives. Do you know what the
          chemicals used for this are?

          Laser Buddy consists of Acetone and Isobutyl Acetate, a bit rude, as
          they say. Is this similar to the chemical recipe used for the Xante
          processing? The reason I ask is that Laser Buddy is a spray can, I
          can't imagine there would be enough control here to expect exacting
          reproduction, and I'd hate to be going back to the pre-water wash days
          when PP was a chemical bath operation.

          Though I suppose if you are to process film negatives on this level
          you are going to be dealing with chemical processes. Imagesetters
          don't use toner (aren't they silver based) so I suspect this is a
          faulty direction. Would appreciate any responses to this from anyone.

          I've tried Laser Buddy on a printed laser piece and it certainly pops
          up the dark. It is actually a Document Spray that "dramatically
          improves the quality of any toner-generated image" (ie, it make them
          darker. Nice catch phrase though "High Resolution in a Can"!

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Dr P.B. Watry" <Pwatry@l...> wrote:
          > Gerry
          >
          > We do have a Xante Platemaker 3 over here which we use mainly as our
          > networked printer in the department. For this purpose, it's great;
          > although I don't think it would produce output of sufficient
          > quality to support PP letterpress printing. If anyone has had
          > experience with this, please get in touch with me (reply to the list).
          >
          > Cheers
          > Paul
          >
          > On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >
          > >Linda Dare at Otis Laboratory Press has successfully worked out a way
          > >of printing direct to negative film on a laser printer by using a
          > >product called Laser Buddy (used in the silk screen industry). This
          > >supposedly increases the opacity without effecting translucency. She
          > >suggests it works well for illustrative matter.
          > >
          > >I suspect that with laser printers now capable of generating at
          > >1200dpi (which is camera ready quality) and others, such as the Xante,
          > >capable of generating at 2400dpi (minimum imagesetter dpi for film),
          > >this may be an eventual way of generating film negatives in-house for
          > >type also, though I also suspect the letterform optimization will be
          > >even more crucial here.
          > >
          > >* I have previously considered the Xante because of its ability to
          > >generate direct to film and/or photopolymer, but these materials
          > >(which I've looked at) are not yet at the quality standard required
          > >for letterpress, nor were they intended for such use.
          > >
          > >I have asked Linda to come on board here, and perhaps when she does,
          > >she will explain this in more detail.
          > >
          > >Gerald

        • Charles Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
            Perhaps someone can help. I have been trying to get amber film to work to
            produce negatives. I have been following the directions from justrite, the
            maker of my exposure unit. The problem is it works one time and then the
            next five all the emulsion washes off. The first time I tried it using the
            one min. exposure suggested it made a perfect negative. The next it
            wouldn't even at 5 min. any suggestions would be very welcome as this
            stuff is not cheap.
            Cheers, Charlie

            Charles D. Jones
            LaNana Creek Press
            Crazy Creek Press

            Nacogdoches, Texas
            Artist/Teacher/Printer
          • David Glover
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
              Charles,

              Be sure you have closed the lid on the film box before you expose your film.

              You also might try and get a Stoeffer (sp?) scale. It is a film strip that
              you place along the edge of you film to determine development and expose
              time. Stoeffer scales are sold at most printing supply stores and are quite
              inexpensive.

              > Perhaps someone can help. I have been trying to get amber film to work to
              > produce negatives. I have been following the directions from justrite,
              the
              > maker of my exposure unit. The problem is it works one time and then the
              > next five all the emulsion washes off. The first time I tried it using
              the
              > one min. exposure suggested it made a perfect negative. The next it
              > wouldn't even at 5 min. any suggestions would be very welcome as this
              > stuff is not cheap.
              > Cheers, Charlie

              ___