Re: [PPLetterpress] Plate making!!

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2002
      >>>A friend has a box
      with UV light that he used to use to make circuit boards and we
      thought we would try this. Does the transparency on the laser printer
      work ok with these plates? <<<<

      Practice is the key. I just recently had to do a wedding invitation with a
      delicate outline script face--as difficult a face as one could imagine to
      expose and print.

      So, first I thought I'd do the "smart" thing and take my negative to a local
      stamp shop that has a professional exposure and washout machine. Well, the
      results were terrible--the operator failed to keep the negative tight so the
      machine over-exposed the tiny lines in places and the plate was just a mess.

      It was the weekend by then so I had no choice but to go back and try to do
      them by hand. I exposed the tiny serifs for a full 45 minutes with my Sun
      Gun, then ever-so-gently washed out the plate with a hand brush--careful not
      to brish too hard in the image area. I left a little of the unexposed gooey
      polymer on the plate within the image areas to act as reinforcement in the
      post-exposure--which I did under natural sunlight.

      The results turned out just about perfect and the customer was very happy.

      So, for me it just reinforced my opinion that good work depends not
      necessarily on what sophisticated tools you have but rather on how well you
      know how to use and make the most of what is available to you.

      Ed