Non-toxic/Organic printing question

  • mzslb
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2006
      I've been printing on platen presses with rubber based inks and doing
      wash ups with good old blanket wash. I'm thinking of switching to soy
      inks and a more organic wash up. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons
      of printing with soy inks on uncoated and coated stocks? Also, who
      are some distributors of soy inks? Are they comparable in price to
      oil/rubber inks?

      In regards to wash ups, I've heard of people using vegetable oil to do
      wash ups. Does anyone here use this? Do you use it on the press as
      well as the rollers? Does anyone have any recommendations on a water
      based, non-toxic wash up...and where I can get it, etc?

      Thanks!!
    • Mark Wilden
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2006
        From: "mzslb" <mzslb@...>

        >In regards to wash ups, I've heard of people using vegetable oil to do
        wash ups. Does anyone here use this? Do you use it on the press as
        well as the rollers?

        I use Crisco for rollers.

        ///ark
      • Bethany Carter
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2006
          I print on a Vandercook 4 and I use vegetable oil to clean my rollers and
          have never had a problem, but I don't use it for the rest of the press. I
          would assume it would leave an undesirable residue on metal parts. I just
          make sure I let my rollers 'rest' a few minutes after cleaning them with the
          oil before I start another color. I don't have any thoughts on the ink
          issue, sorry, I only use Van Son oil inks. Hope this helps, Bethany

          >From: "mzslb" <mzslb@...>
          >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [PPLetterpress] Non-toxic/Organic printing question
          >Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:13:08 -0000
          >
          >I've been printing on platen presses with rubber based inks and doing
          >wash ups with good old blanket wash. I'm thinking of switching to soy
          >inks and a more organic wash up. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons
          >of printing with soy inks on uncoated and coated stocks? Also, who
          >are some distributors of soy inks? Are they comparable in price to
          >oil/rubber inks?
          >
          >In regards to wash ups, I've heard of people using vegetable oil to do
          >wash ups. Does anyone here use this? Do you use it on the press as
          >well as the rollers? Does anyone have any recommendations on a water
          >based, non-toxic wash up...and where I can get it, etc?
          >
          >Thanks!!

        • john cornelisse
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
            At 00:13 13/08/2006, you wrote:

            >I've been printing on platen presses with rubber based inks and doing
            >wash ups with good old blanket wash. I'm thinking of switching to soy
            >inks and a more organic wash up. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons
            >of printing with soy inks on uncoated and coated stocks? Also, who
            >are some distributors of soy inks? Are they comparable in price to
            >oil/rubber inks?
            >
            >In regards to wash ups, I've heard of people using vegetable oil to do
            >wash ups. Does anyone here use this? Do you use it on the press as
            >well as the rollers? Does anyone have any recommendations on a water
            >based, non-toxic wash up...and where I can get it, etc?
            >
            >Thanks!!

            Try to google on VCA, vegetable cleaning agents

            the overall thing here, is stripping glycerol from the oil-molecule,
            and make an ester afterwards.

            the result is a substance with a flame-point much higher compared
            with traditional
            oil-based substances. Less smells, means less danger for fire & more important
            less damage to your brains. the danger on long term is Organic Psycho
            syndrome...

            In offset I here a lot of problems with it, but in letterpress there is none.

            I even clean my press with VCA's - there are a bunch of brands and different
            substances --

            When needed, you can take away the last VCA from the rolls with a solution
            of soap. Soap is in fact an ester of vegetable fatty acids and lye...

            Best wishes

            John Cornelisse
            thatwitplicing the
          • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2006
              mzslb asked:
              >In regards to wash ups, I've heard of people using vegetable oil to do
              >wash ups. Does anyone here use this? Do you use it on the press as
              >well as the rollers? Does anyone have any recommendations on a water
              >based, non-toxic wash up...and where I can get it, etc?

              I started using Gans Nature Wash recently. Tried the Crisco, but it
              doesn't work so well on a platen press. I didn't find any local (Bay
              Area) suppliers of the Nature Wash, so had to order it from LA:
              323-264-2200. It's quite pricey, about $42 a gallon plus shipping;
              but I guess brain cells and lungs are fairly pricey too. Also I find
              I use less (wash-up, not brain cells) than I needed with California
              Wash. It's fairly viscous so a little bit goes a long way. I found
              someone nearby who split the gallon with me--you might try that.

              If you're switching colors you need to either wipe dry the rollers
              (and ink disk, if it's a platen press), wait a bit, or do a final
              swipe with CA Wash; or all the above. Otherwise the oily Nature Wash
              will interfere with the inking.

              Of course I wonder about the life of the rollers with Crisco,
              vegetable oil, Nature Wash, or anything else that hasn't been around
              for that long; but, ditto re brain cells and lungs . . .

              Lisa Rappoport
              Littoral Press
            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2006
                Na. Lungs and brains aren't so cheap (unless they're yours).

                In 1965, NASA was trying to come up with a computer to put in cheap
                space craft and finally arrived at humans, pronouncing:

                "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer
                system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor."

                They had no comments on Crisco. --Scott

                On Aug 15, 2006, at 9:11 PM, cutvelvet@... wrote:

                > mzslb asked:
                >> In regards to wash ups, I've heard of people using vegetable oil
                >> to do
                >> wash ups. Does anyone here use this? Do you use it on the press as
                >> well as the rollers? Does anyone have any recommendations on a water
                >> based, non-toxic wash up...and where I can get it, etc?
                >
                > I started using Gans Nature Wash recently. Tried the Crisco, but it
                > doesn't work so well on a platen press. I didn't find any local (Bay
                > Area) suppliers of the Nature Wash, so had to order it from LA:
                > 323-264-2200. It's quite pricey, about $42 a gallon plus shipping;
                > but I guess brain cells and lungs are fairly pricey too. Also I find
                > I use less (wash-up, not brain cells) than I needed with California
                > Wash. It's fairly viscous so a little bit goes a long way. I found
                > someone nearby who split the gallon with me--you might try that.
                >
                > If you're switching colors you need to either wipe dry the rollers
                > (and ink disk, if it's a platen press), wait a bit, or do a final
                > swipe with CA Wash; or all the above. Otherwise the oily Nature Wash
                > will interfere with the inking.
                >
                > Of course I wonder about the life of the rollers with Crisco,
                > vegetable oil, Nature Wash, or anything else that hasn't been around
                > for that long; but, ditto re brain cells and lungs . . .
                >
                > Lisa Rappoport
                > Littoral Press

              • Mark Wilden
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2006
                  From: "Scott Rubel" <scott@...>

                  > "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound

                  I wish.

                  ///ark
                • Dan Allen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
                    Non-toxic clean up

                    I have used Crisco with good results.

                    There is a product sold by Rembrant Graphic Arts that
                    is a Press Wash made of soybean, has no smell and is
                    listed as non-toxic by OSHA. It works better than corn
                    oil and about the same as Crisco. I make a tiny hit of
                    kerosene when I suspect any oily build up.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com