ink drying time

  • amyloid2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
      Hello there,

      I am a relative newbie printing non-commercially with an ink drying question that may be
      related to the type of paper I am using, or could just be that I need to add some kind of
      dryer to my ink (or both?).

      I am printing a 2-color job using Gans rubber-based ink on Gmund Bier Cover (92lb)
      paper. According to the paper's specs, it has a varnish on one-side and it recommends
      printing on that side since it will "reduce picking and increase print fidelity" and, of course,
      I printed on that side.

      Many days later, it is still tacky and I am left wondering if there is anything I can do after
      the fact to help the ink dry â€" or, reprint the run on the unvarnished side. It's a small-ish
      run and I have plenty of leftover materials, so I could reprint but I'm not sure if it's going
      to dry any quicker or if the picking issue is truly going to be a problem. Maybe I just need
      to add ink dryer?

      I've tried slip-sheeting, laying them out with a fan on them and, as an experiment, even
      tried throwing a small stack of printed sheets on a rack in my clothes dryer set to air fluff.
      The latter seems to have dried out the paper quite nicely â€" it's cracking when I fold it â€"
      but the ink is still a bit sticky. Don't know if it helps my paper argument, but I printed 3
      interior pages with the same inks, but on Mohawk Superfine Eggshell cover which dried in
      about 2 days slip-sheeted.

      Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? If ink dryer is the key, can you
      recommend something that would work with these inks?

      Thanks so much. I really appreciate any help you could give me.

      Cheers,
      Amy
    • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
        Amy:

        It sounds to me as though you have a coated paper and
        your ink is an absorption drying ink. The coating of
        varnish may be impeding the ink absorption which would
        slow drying time.

        I am sure dryer is available from Gans which will work
        with your ink. I have never added dryer to any ink I
        have used so I can not offer advice from that
        perspective.

        My choice for a coated print job would have been an
        oil base ink designed to dry by oxidation or
        evaporation. Gans can provide many inks that meet the
        requirements of your job but the important factor is
        to tell them what paper your using and other details
        such as your press type, environment (i.e.
        Temperature, Humidity)

        Good luck and I am sure there will be some more great
        advice from others.

        Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
        Southwest Finishing, Inc.
        Ft.Worth, Texas
      • amyloid2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
          Thank you Warren.

          I think the couple of responses I've received confirmed what I was afraid of -- which is
          that, although the paper is uncoated, the varnish they put on the one side seals it enough
          to keep the rubber-based ink from absorbing into the paper.

          I'm going to give reprinting on the unvarnished side a shot. Thanks again. This listserve is
          invaluable!

          amyp

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Gailbreath, Jr." <swfinishing@...> wrote:

          > Amy:
          >
          > It sounds to me as though you have a coated paper and
          > your ink is an absorption drying ink. The coating of
          > varnish may be impeding the ink absorption which would
          > slow drying time.
          >
          > I am sure dryer is available from Gans which will work
          > with your ink. I have never added dryer to any ink I
          > have used so I can not offer advice from that
          > perspective.
          >
          > My choice for a coated print job would have been an
          > oil base ink designed to dry by oxidation or
          > evaporation. Gans can provide many inks that meet the
          > requirements of your job but the important factor is
          > to tell them what paper your using and other details
          > such as your press type, environment (i.e.
          > Temperature, Humidity)
          >
          > Good luck and I am sure there will be some more great
          > advice from others.
          >

          > Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
          > Southwest Finishing, Inc.
          > Ft.Worth, Texas

        • royvm13
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "amyloid2002" <amyp@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Warren.
            >
            > I think the couple of responses I've received confirmed what I was
            afraid of -- which is
            > that, although the paper is uncoated, the varnish they put on the
            one side seals it enough
            > to keep the rubber-based ink from absorbing into the paper.
            >
            > I'm going to give reprinting on the unvarnished side a shot. Thanks
            again. This listserve is
            > invaluable!
            >
            > amyp
            >

            > Amy,
            Gans makes a Double Rubberbsed ink, I have used it for years on both
            coated and uncoated stock with excellent results, and it still stays
            open on the press.

            Otherwise I would use Van Son Tough Tex ink. It surface dries. I even
            use it while imprinting on plastic credit cards. Just be sure to
            remove it from your rollers before it dries!

            Roy Maitland, royvm@...
          • speedgray@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
              Dear AmyP:

              I overprint on varnish all the time. It is not a problem. Any ink company
              can make you ink which will dry on top of varnish. The inks I use will dry on
              coated and uncoated stock, as well as stock which has been varnished or UV
              coated.

              Speed Gray