Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Grinding down a bunting base

  • Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
      Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
      liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
      If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
      locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

      --Ph D.

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
        Phil

        Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
        with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
        know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
        understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
        order of specific plate thickness.

        -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

        > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
        > be found in the United States, as imported type was
        > trimmed down to American height.
        >
        > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
        > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
        > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
        > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
        > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
        > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
        > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
        > (0.918 > 0.968").
        >
        > Just a thought.
        >
        > --Ph. D.
        >
        > Gerald Lange wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
        > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
        > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
        > > their low end market. So maybe.
        > >
        > > Amy Borezo wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
        > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
        > > >
        > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
        > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
        > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
        > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
        > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
        > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
        > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
        > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

      • Daniel Morris
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
          I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
          and the writing on the control plate and badges had
          been painted over and removing the paint on top is
          also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
          of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
          they are meant to look like in order to either
          digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
          it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
          of the badges and the control plate for me?
          Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
          pretty!
          http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

          Thanks,
          Daniel Morris