Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Grinding down a bunting base

  • Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
      It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
      be found in the United States, as imported type was
      trimmed down to American height.

      Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
      a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
      American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
      friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
      the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
      and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
      would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
      (0.918 > 0.968").

      Just a thought.

      --Ph. D.

      Gerald Lange wrote:

      > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
      > bed for the European market but I have heard that
      > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
      > their low end market. So maybe.
      >
      > Amy Borezo wrote:
      > >
      > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
      > > will check the ID number and exact height.
      > >
      > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
      > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
      > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
      > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
      > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
      > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
      > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
      > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
        Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
        by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
        separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
        established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
        uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
        printers often had special bed heights.

        Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
        serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
        and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
        not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
        wrote:

        > Amy
        >
        > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
        that I
        > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
        everything.

        > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
        European
        > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
        > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
        >
        > Gerald
        > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
          Phil,

          That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
          I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
          what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
          bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
          stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
          the same concept??

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
            Fritz

            Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
            to do is post slightly errant. :–)

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
              Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
              liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
              If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
              locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

              --Ph D.

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                Phil

                Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                order of specific plate thickness.

                -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                > trimmed down to American height.
                >
                > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                > (0.918 > 0.968").
                >
                > Just a thought.
                >
                > --Ph. D.
                >
                > Gerald Lange wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                > > their low end market. So maybe.
                > >
                > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                > > >
                > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

              • Daniel Morris
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                  I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                  and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                  been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                  also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                  of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                  they are meant to look like in order to either
                  digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                  it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                  of the badges and the control plate for me?
                  Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                  pretty!
                  http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                  Thanks,
                  Daniel Morris