Re: Grinding down a bunting base

  • tonyaaa2005
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
      Fritz-

      you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
      but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
      South San Francisco.........

      Best and Kindest regards,

      Tony Archer

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

      >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
      > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
      > era..............
      > Fritz

    • amy borezo
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
        number and exact height.

        She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
        the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
        apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
        European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
        but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
        than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

        Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

        Best,
        Amy Borezo
        www.shelterbookworks.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
          Amy

          Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
          am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

          I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
          market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
          Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

          > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
          the ID
          > number and exact height.
          >
          > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
          look into
          > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
          > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
          > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
          didot,
          > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
          difference
          > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
          >
          > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
          >
          > Best,
          > Amy Borezo
          > www.shelterbookworks.com

        • Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
            It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
            be found in the United States, as imported type was
            trimmed down to American height.

            Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
            a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
            American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
            friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
            the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
            and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
            would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
            (0.918 > 0.968").

            Just a thought.

            --Ph. D.

            Gerald Lange wrote:

            > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
            > bed for the European market but I have heard that
            > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
            > their low end market. So maybe.
            >
            > Amy Borezo wrote:
            > >
            > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
            > > will check the ID number and exact height.
            > >
            > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
            > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
            > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
            > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
            > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
            > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
            > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
            > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
          • nagraph1
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
              Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
              by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
              separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
              established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
              uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
              printers often had special bed heights.

              Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
              serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
              and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
              not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

              Fritz

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
              wrote:

              > Amy
              >
              > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
              that I
              > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
              everything.

              > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
              European
              > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
              > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
              >
              > Gerald
              > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

            • Lance Williams
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                Phil,

                That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                the same concept??

                - Lance Williams
                Williams Stationery Co.
                Camden, New York
                APA #785

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                  Fritz

                  Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                  to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                    Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                    liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                    If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                    locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                    --Ph D.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                      Phil

                      Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                      with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                      know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                      understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                      order of specific plate thickness.

                      -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                      > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                      > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                      > trimmed down to American height.
                      >
                      > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                      > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                      > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                      > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                      > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                      > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                      > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                      > (0.918 > 0.968").
                      >
                      > Just a thought.
                      >
                      > --Ph. D.
                      >
                      > Gerald Lange wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                      > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                      > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                      > > their low end market. So maybe.
                      > >
                      > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                      > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                      > > >
                      > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                      > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                      > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                      > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                      > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                      > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                      > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                      > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                    • Daniel Morris
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                        I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                        and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                        been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                        also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                        of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                        they are meant to look like in order to either
                        digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                        it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                        of the badges and the control plate for me?
                        Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                        pretty!
                        http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                        Thanks,
                        Daniel Morris