Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Grinding down a bunting base

  • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2 8:56 AM
      The first exposure I had with the Bunting base was in
      1989 or 1990. The shop I was numbering checks for
      bought one and it is what we used to imprint the MICR
      Routing and Account numbers with.

      Until then they had somebody setting MICR in slugs.
      They came out one day and said we are going to use
      this now and I said OK.

      I recently bought one for a GOOD price and it's in
      good shape but I believe it to be old as the number on
      the back is only 4 digits. Something like 1158 or
      something.

      Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
      Southwest Finishing, Inc.
      Ft.Worth, Texas
    • tonyaaa2005
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2 9:44 AM
        Fritz-

        you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
        but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
        South San Francisco.........

        Best and Kindest regards,

        Tony Archer

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

        >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
        > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
        > era..............
        > Fritz

      • amy borezo
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2 6:10 PM
          I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
          number and exact height.

          She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
          the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
          apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
          European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
          but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
          than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

          Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

          Best,
          Amy Borezo
          www.shelterbookworks.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 5 8:04 PM
            Amy

            Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
            am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

            I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
            market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
            Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

            > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
            the ID
            > number and exact height.
            >
            > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
            look into
            > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
            > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
            > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
            didot,
            > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
            difference
            > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
            >
            > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
            >
            > Best,
            > Amy Borezo
            > www.shelterbookworks.com

          • Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5 8:28 PM
              It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
              be found in the United States, as imported type was
              trimmed down to American height.

              Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
              a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
              American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
              friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
              the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
              and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
              would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
              (0.918 > 0.968").

              Just a thought.

              --Ph. D.

              Gerald Lange wrote:

              > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
              > bed for the European market but I have heard that
              > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
              > their low end market. So maybe.
              >
              > Amy Borezo wrote:
              > >
              > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
              > > will check the ID number and exact height.
              > >
              > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
              > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
              > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
              > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
              > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
              > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
              > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
              > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5 8:33 PM
                Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
                by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
                separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
                established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
                uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
                printers often had special bed heights.

                Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
                serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
                and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
                not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

                Fritz

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
                wrote:

                > Amy
                >
                > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
                that I
                > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
                everything.

                > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
                European
                > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
                >
                > Gerald
                > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

              • Lance Williams
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 5 8:34 PM
                  Phil,

                  That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                  I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                  what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                  bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                  stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                  the same concept??

                  - Lance Williams
                  Williams Stationery Co.
                  Camden, New York
                  APA #785

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5 8:41 PM
                    Fritz

                    Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                    to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5 9:34 PM
                      Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                      liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                      If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                      locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                      --Ph D.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5 10:33 PM
                        Phil

                        Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                        with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                        know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                        understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                        order of specific plate thickness.

                        -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                        > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                        > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                        > trimmed down to American height.
                        >
                        > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                        > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                        > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                        > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                        > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                        > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                        > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                        > (0.918 > 0.968").
                        >
                        > Just a thought.
                        >
                        > --Ph. D.
                        >
                        > Gerald Lange wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                        > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                        > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                        > > their low end market. So maybe.
                        > >
                        > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                        > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                        > > >
                        > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                        > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                        > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                        > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                        > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                        > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                        > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                        > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                      • Daniel Morris
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 7 5:19 PM
                          I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                          and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                          been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                          also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                          of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                          they are meant to look like in order to either
                          digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                          it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                          of the badges and the control plate for me?
                          Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                          pretty!
                          http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                          Thanks,
                          Daniel Morris