Re: Grinding down a bunting base

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
      I think these date back to at least the early 70s as that's when I
      got my first product literature from them. They were used heavily in
      the box making part of printing and tons of large flat bed presses
      were still operating back then. We were using photopolymer plates on
      Heidelberg cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
      era, so these things do pre-date what is thought to
      be "contemporary" letterpress.

      Fritz

      > In reply, I have been able to get information on specific
      thicknesses
      > for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how
      extensive
      > the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.
      >
      > I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
      > been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
      > pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago.
      I'm
      > surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
      > keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received.
      I'd
      > hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
      > photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as
      > user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
      > alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

    • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        The first exposure I had with the Bunting base was in
        1989 or 1990. The shop I was numbering checks for
        bought one and it is what we used to imprint the MICR
        Routing and Account numbers with.

        Until then they had somebody setting MICR in slugs.
        They came out one day and said we are going to use
        this now and I said OK.

        I recently bought one for a GOOD price and it's in
        good shape but I believe it to be old as the number on
        the back is only 4 digits. Something like 1158 or
        something.

        Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
        Southwest Finishing, Inc.
        Ft.Worth, Texas
      • tonyaaa2005
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
          Fritz-

          you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
          but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
          South San Francisco.........

          Best and Kindest regards,

          Tony Archer

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

          >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
          > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
          > era..............
          > Fritz

        • amy borezo
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
            I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
            number and exact height.

            She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
            the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
            apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
            European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
            but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
            than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

            Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

            Best,
            Amy Borezo
            www.shelterbookworks.com

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
              Amy

              Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
              am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

              I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
              market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
              Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

              > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
              the ID
              > number and exact height.
              >
              > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
              look into
              > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
              > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
              > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
              didot,
              > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
              difference
              > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
              >
              > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
              >
              > Best,
              > Amy Borezo
              > www.shelterbookworks.com

            • Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                be found in the United States, as imported type was
                trimmed down to American height.

                Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                (0.918 > 0.968").

                Just a thought.

                --Ph. D.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                  Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
                  by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
                  separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
                  established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
                  uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
                  printers often had special bed heights.

                  Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
                  serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
                  and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
                  not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

                  Fritz

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Amy
                  >
                  > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
                  that I
                  > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
                  everything.

                  > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
                  European
                  > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                  > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
                  >
                  > Gerald
                  > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                • Lance Williams
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                    Phil,

                    That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                    I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                    what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                    bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                    stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                    the same concept??

                    - Lance Williams
                    Williams Stationery Co.
                    Camden, New York
                    APA #785

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                      Fritz

                      Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                      to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                        Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                        liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                        If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                        locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                        --Ph D.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                          Phil

                          Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                          with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                          know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                          understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                          order of specific plate thickness.

                          -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                          > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                          > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                          > trimmed down to American height.
                          >
                          > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                          > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                          > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                          > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                          > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                          > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                          > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                          > (0.918 > 0.968").
                          >
                          > Just a thought.
                          >
                          > --Ph. D.
                          >
                          > Gerald Lange wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                          > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                          > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                          > > their low end market. So maybe.
                          > >
                          > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                          > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                          > > >
                          > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                          > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                          > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                          > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                          > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                          > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                          > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                          > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                        • Daniel Morris
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                            I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                            and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                            been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                            also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                            of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                            they are meant to look like in order to either
                            digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                            it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                            of the badges and the control plate for me?
                            Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                            pretty!
                            http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                            Thanks,
                            Daniel Morris