Re: Grinding down a bunting base

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
      Amy

      In reply, I have been able to get information on specific thicknesses
      for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how extensive
      the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.

      I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
      been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
      pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago. I'm
      surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
      keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received. I'd
      hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
      photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as a
      user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
      alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.

    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        I think these date back to at least the early 70s as that's when I
        got my first product literature from them. They were used heavily in
        the box making part of printing and tons of large flat bed presses
        were still operating back then. We were using photopolymer plates on
        Heidelberg cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
        era, so these things do pre-date what is thought to
        be "contemporary" letterpress.

        Fritz

        > In reply, I have been able to get information on specific
        thicknesses
        > for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how
        extensive
        > the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.
        >
        > I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
        > been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
        > pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago.
        I'm
        > surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
        > keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received.
        I'd
        > hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
        > photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as
        > user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
        > alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.
        >
        > Gerald
        > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
          The first exposure I had with the Bunting base was in
          1989 or 1990. The shop I was numbering checks for
          bought one and it is what we used to imprint the MICR
          Routing and Account numbers with.

          Until then they had somebody setting MICR in slugs.
          They came out one day and said we are going to use
          this now and I said OK.

          I recently bought one for a GOOD price and it's in
          good shape but I believe it to be old as the number on
          the back is only 4 digits. Something like 1158 or
          something.

          Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
          Southwest Finishing, Inc.
          Ft.Worth, Texas
        • tonyaaa2005
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
            Fritz-

            you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
            but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
            South San Francisco.........

            Best and Kindest regards,

            Tony Archer

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

            >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
            > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
            > era..............
            > Fritz

          • amy borezo
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
              I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
              number and exact height.

              She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
              the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
              apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
              European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
              but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
              than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

              Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

              Best,
              Amy Borezo
              www.shelterbookworks.com

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                Amy

                Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
                am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

                I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
                market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

                > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
                the ID
                > number and exact height.
                >
                > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
                look into
                > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
                didot,
                > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
                difference
                > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
                >
                > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
                >
                > Best,
                > Amy Borezo
                > www.shelterbookworks.com

              • Ph.D.
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                  It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                  be found in the United States, as imported type was
                  trimmed down to American height.

                  Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                  a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                  American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                  friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                  the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                  and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                  would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                  (0.918 > 0.968").

                  Just a thought.

                  --Ph. D.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                    Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
                    by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
                    separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
                    established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
                    uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
                    printers often had special bed heights.

                    Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
                    serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
                    and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
                    not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

                    Fritz

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Amy
                    >
                    > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
                    that I
                    > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
                    everything.

                    > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
                    European
                    > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                    > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
                    >
                    > Gerald
                    > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                  • Lance Williams
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                      Phil,

                      That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                      I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                      what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                      bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                      stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                      the same concept??

                      - Lance Williams
                      Williams Stationery Co.
                      Camden, New York
                      APA #785

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                        Fritz

                        Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                        to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                          Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                          liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                          If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                          locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                          --Ph D.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                            Phil

                            Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                            with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                            know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                            understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                            order of specific plate thickness.

                            -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                            > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                            > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                            > trimmed down to American height.
                            >
                            > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                            > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                            > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                            > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                            > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                            > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                            > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                            > (0.918 > 0.968").
                            >
                            > Just a thought.
                            >
                            > --Ph. D.
                            >
                            > Gerald Lange wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                            > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                            > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                            > > their low end market. So maybe.
                            > >
                            > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                            > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                            > > >
                            > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                            > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                            > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                            > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                            > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                            > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                            > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                            > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                          • Daniel Morris
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                              I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                              and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                              been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                              also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                              of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                              they are meant to look like in order to either
                              digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                              it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                              of the badges and the control plate for me?
                              Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                              pretty!
                              http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                              Thanks,
                              Daniel Morris