Re: Grinding down a bunting base

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2006
      Amy

      If you were to have the base ground you would have to send it to
      Bunting. The bases are a mix of materials of different densities,
      aluminum, steel, ceramic magnets, and would be very difficult to grind
      properly and accurately. Also, having an outside source grind the base
      would end the lifetime warranty. If you can send me the unique ID of
      the base it's possible I could find out the thickness of the base for you.

      Since Bunting grinds the bases to accomodate specific plate
      thicknesses it is likely your friend is using the wrong plate
      configuration if the base and plate measure over type high.

      Bunting is so specific about the proper configuration of plate and
      base they also do not recommend that folks use underlays with their bases.

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        Amy

        In reply, I have been able to get information on specific thicknesses
        for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how extensive
        the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.

        I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
        been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
        pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago. I'm
        surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
        keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received. I'd
        hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
        photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as a
        user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
        alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.

      • nagraph1
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
          I think these date back to at least the early 70s as that's when I
          got my first product literature from them. They were used heavily in
          the box making part of printing and tons of large flat bed presses
          were still operating back then. We were using photopolymer plates on
          Heidelberg cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
          era, so these things do pre-date what is thought to
          be "contemporary" letterpress.

          Fritz

          > In reply, I have been able to get information on specific
          thicknesses
          > for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how
          extensive
          > the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.
          >
          > I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
          > been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
          > pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago.
          I'm
          > surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
          > keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received.
          I'd
          > hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
          > photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as
          > user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
          > alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.
          >
          > Gerald
          > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

        • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
            The first exposure I had with the Bunting base was in
            1989 or 1990. The shop I was numbering checks for
            bought one and it is what we used to imprint the MICR
            Routing and Account numbers with.

            Until then they had somebody setting MICR in slugs.
            They came out one day and said we are going to use
            this now and I said OK.

            I recently bought one for a GOOD price and it's in
            good shape but I believe it to be old as the number on
            the back is only 4 digits. Something like 1158 or
            something.

            Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
            Southwest Finishing, Inc.
            Ft.Worth, Texas
          • tonyaaa2005
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
              Fritz-

              you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
              but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
              South San Francisco.........

              Best and Kindest regards,

              Tony Archer

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

              >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
              > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
              > era..............
              > Fritz

            • amy borezo
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
                number and exact height.

                She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
                the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
                but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
                than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

                Best,
                Amy Borezo
                www.shelterbookworks.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                  Amy

                  Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
                  am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

                  I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
                  market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                  Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

                  > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
                  the ID
                  > number and exact height.
                  >
                  > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
                  look into
                  > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                  > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                  > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
                  didot,
                  > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
                  difference
                  > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
                  >
                  > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Amy Borezo
                  > www.shelterbookworks.com

                • Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                    It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                    be found in the United States, as imported type was
                    trimmed down to American height.

                    Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                    a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                    American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                    friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                    the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                    and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                    would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                    (0.918 > 0.968").

                    Just a thought.

                    --Ph. D.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                      Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
                      by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
                      separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
                      established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
                      uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
                      printers often had special bed heights.

                      Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
                      serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
                      and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
                      not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

                      Fritz

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Amy
                      >
                      > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
                      that I
                      > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
                      everything.

                      > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
                      European
                      > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                      > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
                      >
                      > Gerald
                      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                    • Lance Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                        Phil,

                        That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                        I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                        what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                        bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                        stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                        the same concept??

                        - Lance Williams
                        Williams Stationery Co.
                        Camden, New York
                        APA #785

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                          Fritz

                          Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                          to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                            Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                            liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                            If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                            locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                            --Ph D.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                              Phil

                              Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                              with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                              know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                              understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                              order of specific plate thickness.

                              -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                              > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                              > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                              > trimmed down to American height.
                              >
                              > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                              > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                              > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                              > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                              > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                              > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                              > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                              > (0.918 > 0.968").
                              >
                              > Just a thought.
                              >
                              > --Ph. D.
                              >
                              > Gerald Lange wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                              > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                              > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                              > > their low end market. So maybe.
                              > >
                              > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                              > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                              > > >
                              > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                              > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                              > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                              > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                              > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                              > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                              > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                              > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                            • Daniel Morris
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                                I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                                and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                                been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                                also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                                of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                                they are meant to look like in order to either
                                digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                                it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                                of the badges and the control plate for me?
                                Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                                pretty!
                                http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                                Thanks,
                                Daniel Morris