Re: [PPLetterpress] Grinding down a bunting base

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2006
      I agree with Eric. You may have a choice of plate height and you should
      not need to grind it. If you do feel you should grind it, make sure your
      friend's adjustable bed will adjust to the new height.

      If you grind it, you need to ask specifically for Blanchard grinding.
      Regular milling by a machinist may not be precision enough.

      Even the smallest Bunting bases cost hundreds of dollars, so let your
      choices be well-considered.

      --Scott

      Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:

      >Amy:
      >
      >I thought I would put my two cents worth in. Bunting
      >Magnetic bases in my opinion are VERY expensive. Since
      >it is on loan and the original owner may want it back
      >eventually I would not have it machined down.
      >
      >Also if the machinist were to machine it slightly off
      >that would present a whole new set of problems. When
      >the bases are made they are made to order.
      >
      >Good Luck
      >

      >Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
      >Southwest Finishing, Inc.
      >Ft.Worth, Texas

    • aborezo
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi again, Thanks to everyone who has responded so far with grinding
        info. Apparently, grinding a bunting base is not the best choice.
        Soooo, I will try to get the specs on the base height from her and see
        if there is a plate that will match up to type high. I'm trying to
        figure all of this out without having the base in my posession.

        Best,
        Amy Borezo
        www.shelterbookworks.com
      • Bryan Hutcheson
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2006
          We are in the market for Bunting Bases. If anyone has spare ones they
          want to get rid of, CALL US!

          bryan hutcheson
          manifesto letterpress
          116 pleasant street - 2245
          easthampton, ma 01027
          p:413.529.0009
          f:413.529.1177
          http://www.manifestopress.com
          _________________________________
          a full-service design and letterpress studio
          announcements
          stationery
          packaging
          posters

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2006
            Amy

            If you were to have the base ground you would have to send it to
            Bunting. The bases are a mix of materials of different densities,
            aluminum, steel, ceramic magnets, and would be very difficult to grind
            properly and accurately. Also, having an outside source grind the base
            would end the lifetime warranty. If you can send me the unique ID of
            the base it's possible I could find out the thickness of the base for you.

            Since Bunting grinds the bases to accomodate specific plate
            thicknesses it is likely your friend is using the wrong plate
            configuration if the base and plate measure over type high.

            Bunting is so specific about the proper configuration of plate and
            base they also do not recommend that folks use underlays with their bases.

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
              Amy

              In reply, I have been able to get information on specific thicknesses
              for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how extensive
              the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.

              I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
              been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
              pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago. I'm
              surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
              keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received. I'd
              hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
              photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as a
              user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
              alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.

            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                I think these date back to at least the early 70s as that's when I
                got my first product literature from them. They were used heavily in
                the box making part of printing and tons of large flat bed presses
                were still operating back then. We were using photopolymer plates on
                Heidelberg cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
                era, so these things do pre-date what is thought to
                be "contemporary" letterpress.

                Fritz

                > In reply, I have been able to get information on specific
                thicknesses
                > for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how
                extensive
                > the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.
                >
                > I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
                > been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
                > pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago.
                I'm
                > surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
                > keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received.
                I'd
                > hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
                > photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as
                > user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
                > alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.
                >
                > Gerald
                > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

              • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                  The first exposure I had with the Bunting base was in
                  1989 or 1990. The shop I was numbering checks for
                  bought one and it is what we used to imprint the MICR
                  Routing and Account numbers with.

                  Until then they had somebody setting MICR in slugs.
                  They came out one day and said we are going to use
                  this now and I said OK.

                  I recently bought one for a GOOD price and it's in
                  good shape but I believe it to be old as the number on
                  the back is only 4 digits. Something like 1158 or
                  something.

                  Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                  Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                  Ft.Worth, Texas
                • tonyaaa2005
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Fritz-

                    you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
                    but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
                    South San Francisco.........

                    Best and Kindest regards,

                    Tony Archer

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                    >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
                    > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
                    > era..............
                    > Fritz

                  • amy borezo
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                      I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
                      number and exact height.

                      She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
                      the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                      apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                      European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
                      but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
                      than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                      Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

                      Best,
                      Amy Borezo
                      www.shelterbookworks.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                        Amy

                        Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
                        am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

                        I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
                        market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                        Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

                        > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
                        the ID
                        > number and exact height.
                        >
                        > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
                        look into
                        > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                        > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                        > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
                        didot,
                        > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
                        difference
                        > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
                        >
                        > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > Amy Borezo
                        > www.shelterbookworks.com

                      • Ph.D.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                          It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                          be found in the United States, as imported type was
                          trimmed down to American height.

                          Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                          a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                          American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                          friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                          the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                          and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                          would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                          (0.918 > 0.968").

                          Just a thought.

                          --Ph. D.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                            Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
                            by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
                            separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
                            established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
                            uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
                            printers often had special bed heights.

                            Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
                            serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
                            and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
                            not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

                            Fritz

                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Amy
                            >
                            > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
                            that I
                            > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
                            everything.

                            > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
                            European
                            > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                            > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
                            >
                            > Gerald
                            > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                          • Lance Williams
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                              Phil,

                              That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                              I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                              what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                              bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                              stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                              the same concept??

                              - Lance Williams
                              Williams Stationery Co.
                              Camden, New York
                              APA #785

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                                Fritz

                                Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                                to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                                  Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                                  liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                                  If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                                  locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                                  --Ph D.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
                                    Phil

                                    Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                                    with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                                    know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                                    understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                                    order of specific plate thickness.

                                    -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                                    > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                                    > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                                    > trimmed down to American height.
                                    >
                                    > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                                    > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                                    > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                                    > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                                    > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                                    > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                                    > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                                    > (0.918 > 0.968").
                                    >
                                    > Just a thought.
                                    >
                                    > --Ph. D.
                                    >
                                    > Gerald Lange wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                                    > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                                    > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                                    > > their low end market. So maybe.
                                    > >
                                    > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                                    > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                                    > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                                    > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                                    > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                                    > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                                    > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                                    > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                                    > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                                  • Daniel Morris
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                                      I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                                      and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                                      been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                                      also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                                      of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                                      they are meant to look like in order to either
                                      digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                                      it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                                      of the badges and the control plate for me?
                                      Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                                      pretty!
                                      http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                                      Thanks,
                                      Daniel Morris