Re: [PPLetterpress] Grinding down a bunting base

  • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1 6:39 AM
      Amy:

      I thought I would put my two cents worth in. Bunting
      Magnetic bases in my opinion are VERY expensive. Since
      it is on loan and the original owner may want it back
      eventually I would not have it machined down.

      Also if the machinist were to machine it slightly off
      that would present a whole new set of problems. When
      the bases are made they are made to order.

      Good Luck

      Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
      Southwest Finishing, Inc.
      Ft.Worth, Texas
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1 7:08 AM
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "aborezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:

        > I have a friend offering to give me a bunting base on long term loan,
        > but for some reason, when paired with a plate, it is higher than type
        > high.

        Bunting bases are made for specific thicknesses of plate, and there
        are many variations. You're using the wrong plate. So buy a
        micrometer, measure the base height, subtract that from .918", and you
        will know what thickness of plate to buy.
        -Eric Holub, SF
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1 8:23 AM
          I agree with Eric. You may have a choice of plate height and you should
          not need to grind it. If you do feel you should grind it, make sure your
          friend's adjustable bed will adjust to the new height.

          If you grind it, you need to ask specifically for Blanchard grinding.
          Regular milling by a machinist may not be precision enough.

          Even the smallest Bunting bases cost hundreds of dollars, so let your
          choices be well-considered.

          --Scott

          Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:

          >Amy:
          >
          >I thought I would put my two cents worth in. Bunting
          >Magnetic bases in my opinion are VERY expensive. Since
          >it is on loan and the original owner may want it back
          >eventually I would not have it machined down.
          >
          >Also if the machinist were to machine it slightly off
          >that would present a whole new set of problems. When
          >the bases are made they are made to order.
          >
          >Good Luck
          >

          >Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
          >Southwest Finishing, Inc.
          >Ft.Worth, Texas

        • aborezo
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1 8:41 AM
            Hi again, Thanks to everyone who has responded so far with grinding
            info. Apparently, grinding a bunting base is not the best choice.
            Soooo, I will try to get the specs on the base height from her and see
            if there is a plate that will match up to type high. I'm trying to
            figure all of this out without having the base in my posession.

            Best,
            Amy Borezo
            www.shelterbookworks.com
          • Bryan Hutcheson
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1 9:06 AM
              We are in the market for Bunting Bases. If anyone has spare ones they
              want to get rid of, CALL US!

              bryan hutcheson
              manifesto letterpress
              116 pleasant street - 2245
              easthampton, ma 01027
              p:413.529.0009
              f:413.529.1177
              http://www.manifestopress.com
              _________________________________
              a full-service design and letterpress studio
              announcements
              stationery
              packaging
              posters

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1 9:50 AM
                Amy

                If you were to have the base ground you would have to send it to
                Bunting. The bases are a mix of materials of different densities,
                aluminum, steel, ceramic magnets, and would be very difficult to grind
                properly and accurately. Also, having an outside source grind the base
                would end the lifetime warranty. If you can send me the unique ID of
                the base it's possible I could find out the thickness of the base for you.

                Since Bunting grinds the bases to accomodate specific plate
                thicknesses it is likely your friend is using the wrong plate
                configuration if the base and plate measure over type high.

                Bunting is so specific about the proper configuration of plate and
                base they also do not recommend that folks use underlays with their bases.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2 3:04 AM
                  Amy

                  In reply, I have been able to get information on specific thicknesses
                  for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how extensive
                  the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.

                  I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
                  been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
                  pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago. I'm
                  surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
                  keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received. I'd
                  hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
                  photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as a
                  user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
                  alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.

                • nagraph1
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2 8:18 AM
                    I think these date back to at least the early 70s as that's when I
                    got my first product literature from them. They were used heavily in
                    the box making part of printing and tons of large flat bed presses
                    were still operating back then. We were using photopolymer plates on
                    Heidelberg cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
                    era, so these things do pre-date what is thought to
                    be "contemporary" letterpress.

                    Fritz

                    > In reply, I have been able to get information on specific
                    thicknesses
                    > for bases connected with ID numbers, but I am not sure how
                    extensive
                    > the record keeping is. But if you send it I will inquire.
                    >
                    > I can't recall off the top of my head how long Bunting has actually
                    > been making bases but I'm quessing since about the mid 1980s. They
                    > pretty much saturated the industrial market some long time ago.
                    I'm
                    > surprised they still continue to offer the product. They no longer
                    > keep them in stock and only make them up as orders are received.
                    I'd
                    > hate to see them abandon this item as it is hands down the best
                    > photopolymer plate precision base on the market. And I say that as
                    > user, not a distributor or rep (which I am). I have tried the
                    > alternatives. If there was something better, I would switch over.
                    >
                    > Gerald
                    > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                  • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2 8:56 AM
                      The first exposure I had with the Bunting base was in
                      1989 or 1990. The shop I was numbering checks for
                      bought one and it is what we used to imprint the MICR
                      Routing and Account numbers with.

                      Until then they had somebody setting MICR in slugs.
                      They came out one day and said we are going to use
                      this now and I said OK.

                      I recently bought one for a GOOD price and it's in
                      good shape but I believe it to be old as the number on
                      the back is only 4 digits. Something like 1158 or
                      something.

                      Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                      Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                      Ft.Worth, Texas
                    • tonyaaa2005
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 2 9:44 AM
                        Fritz-

                        you well traveled old-timer. I was in the Bay Area in 1968-89,
                        but I was a 6th grader at Sunshine Gardens Elementary School in
                        South San Francisco.........

                        Best and Kindest regards,

                        Tony Archer

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                        >............ We were using photopolymer plates on Heidelberg
                        > cylinders where I worked in San Francisco in the 1968-69
                        > era..............
                        > Fritz

                      • amy borezo
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 2 6:10 PM
                          I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check the ID
                          number and exact height.

                          She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to look into
                          the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                          apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                          European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about didot,
                          but her description makes me think it is even more of a height difference
                          than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                          Thanks for all of the informative historical info.

                          Best,
                          Amy Borezo
                          www.shelterbookworks.com

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5 8:04 PM
                            Amy

                            Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file that I
                            am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo everything.

                            I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the European
                            market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                            Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.

                            > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and will check
                            the ID
                            > number and exact height.
                            >
                            > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might have to
                            look into
                            > the grinding option with Bunting. It fits her press perfectly, which
                            > apparently is not made for American type. It is a Vandercook that fits
                            > European type of some kind. I did some research and found out about
                            didot,
                            > but her description makes me think it is even more of a height
                            difference
                            > than that. Were some Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?
                            >
                            > Thanks for all of the informative historical info.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            > Amy Borezo
                            > www.shelterbookworks.com

                          • Ph.D.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5 8:28 PM
                              It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                              be found in the United States, as imported type was
                              trimmed down to American height.

                              Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                              a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                              American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                              friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                              the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                              and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                              would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                              (0.918 > 0.968").

                              Just a thought.

                              --Ph. D.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5 8:33 PM
                                Vandercook made whatever bed height was ordered, and it could vary
                                by customer and country. Each proof and test press was entered as a
                                separate order, and thus the customer specifications were
                                established for each press. Even within the U.S., with its supposed
                                uniform .918 type high, presses intended for uses other than for
                                printers often had special bed heights.

                                Just for the sake of argument, I just reviewed about 100 consecutive
                                serial number cards for the Universal I's shipped in the mid-1960s
                                and it appears the Swiss distributor for Vandercook was Monotype,
                                not F.A.G. In Great Britain, the exclusive distributor was Soldans.

                                Fritz

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Amy
                                >
                                > Sorry to be so slow in responding. My OS has a bad system file
                                that I
                                > am gingerly stepping around until I can find the time to redo
                                everything.

                                > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height bed for the
                                European
                                > market but I have heard that FAG (Switzerland) used to import
                                > Vandercooks for their low end market. So maybe.
                                >
                                > Gerald
                                > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                              • Lance Williams
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 5 8:34 PM
                                  Phil,

                                  That is kind of what I was thinking. Either a galley, or a bed liner.
                                  I don't know enough about Vandercooks, but our Verner Multipresses all have
                                  what look like 11 point zinc plates (probably actually steel) on the bed to
                                  bring them up to type high. I never really knew the reason, but they are a
                                  stock item with the press.... Could some Vandercooks have been made with
                                  the same concept??

                                  - Lance Williams
                                  Williams Stationery Co.
                                  Camden, New York
                                  APA #785

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 5 8:41 PM
                                    Fritz

                                    Thanks. It is so easy to pull the correct info from you, all one has
                                    to do is post slightly errant. :–)

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 5 9:34 PM
                                      Yes, many of the Vandercooks that I've seen have a steel
                                      liner that fits in the bed. If you're using galleys, you take it off.
                                      If you're not using galleys (perhaps you have a form already
                                      locked in a chase), then you put on the liner.

                                      --Ph D.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 5 10:33 PM
                                        Phil

                                        Earlier in the thread Amy mentioned that her friend had a Vandercook
                                        with an adjustable bed. So it would not be just .918 or .968. I don't
                                        know offhand what the adjustable bed range of a Vandercook is. But my
                                        understanding is that Bunting stocks at .918 and grinds down as per
                                        order of specific plate thickness.

                                        -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

                                        > It seems odd that a Didot-height Vandercook would
                                        > be found in the United States, as imported type was
                                        > trimmed down to American height.
                                        >
                                        > Amy says that her friend makes it sound as though it's
                                        > a lot higher than the difference between Didot and
                                        > American (0.928 - 0.918 = 0.010 inch). Perhaps her
                                        > friend has a Vandercook designed to be used with
                                        > the type on a galley, but her friend doesn't realize this
                                        > and is just setting the base directly on the bed. That
                                        > would add approximately 0.050 inch to the height
                                        > (0.918 > 0.968").
                                        >
                                        > Just a thought.
                                        >
                                        > --Ph. D.
                                        >
                                        > Gerald Lange wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I don't know if Vandercook made a special height
                                        > > bed for the European market but I have heard that
                                        > > FAG (Switzerland) used to import Vandercooks for
                                        > > their low end market. So maybe.
                                        > >
                                        > > Amy Borezo wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I will be receiving the Bunting Base in the mail soon and
                                        > > > will check the ID number and exact height.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > She has warned me that it is quite high, so I still might
                                        > > > have to look into the grinding option with Bunting. It fits
                                        > > > her press perfectly, which apparently is not made for
                                        > > > American type. It is a Vandercook that fits European
                                        > > > type of some kind. I did some research and found out
                                        > > > about didot, but her description makes me think it is
                                        > > > even more of a height difference than that. Were some
                                        > > > Vandercooks made for different kinds of type?

                                      • Daniel Morris
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 7 5:19 PM
                                          I am in the process of restoring a pair of Uni IIIs
                                          and the writing on the control plate and badges had
                                          been painted over and removing the paint on top is
                                          also taking off what is meant to stay... I am thinking
                                          of making up new ones, but need a good image of what
                                          they are meant to look like in order to either
                                          digitally print directly on the metal or screen print
                                          it. Can anybody with a full auto Uni III take a photo
                                          of the badges and the control plate for me?
                                          Have a look at what I am dealing with here... Not
                                          pretty!
                                          http://tinyurl.com/o7ywt

                                          Thanks,
                                          Daniel Morris