Papers for Indigo/letterpress combination

  • Dave Wofford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2006
      I¹m wondering if anyone has specific feedback about papers to consider (or
      avoid) for a book project combining Indigo printing (reproducing toned b&w
      photographs) with letterpress printing (essay, title spread, etc).

      From what I know of Indigo printing, the paper range to choose from is a bit
      narrow but from my beginning research I do know that Mohawk Superfine (even
      the eggshell finish) is supposed to do well and that Superfine also has a
      new i-Tone smooth sheet specially formulated for the Indigo.

      I plan to compare these two versions in an initial test, hoping the eggshell
      100lb text will do nearly as well as the I-Tone smooth sheet.
      Realize this may be slightly off topic of photopolymer but seems like this
      list probably has best sources of info for this quest and the might be
      others interested in this issue.

      I¹d gladly welcome any feedback from folks who have experience with Indigo
      as I¹m looking for other papers to test out initially.
      Ideally, I¹m looking for an uncoated text sheet (100lb or a little heavier)
      that has something of a nice tooth and could still possibly yield nice
      reproductions of b&w landscape photography. (Yes, I realize the tooth aspect
      and good photographic reproductions will likely be fighting each other).
      I¹ve heard Somerset Text doesn¹t do well on the Indigo. I¹m wondering if
      anyone has experienced results with Zerkall Book or any other mouldmade
      papers on an Indigo press?

      I¹m guessing I would want to avoid Sapphire (or other) enhanced uncoated
      sheets as they have a short shelf life and the surface treatment could play
      havoc with how I¹d expect the paper to perform on the letterpress in regards
      to inking.

      I¹m interested to hear from anyone with direct experience with this.

      Thanks,

      Dave

      Dave Wofford
      H O R S E  &  B U G G Y  P R E S S
      Design, Letterpress Printing & More--for the Jet Age & Beyond
      401-B1 Foster St
      Durham, North Carolina 27701
      horseandbuggypress@...
      no fax, just rumors