Re: Photopolymer-optimization thread

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 5, 2002
      > >Justin Howes wrote...
      > > For example, -5 units is the equivalent of
      > > taking off 0.00083 of an inch if you're using
      > > the type at 12-point.
      >
      > Huh. It's interesting to note that -back in the 30s- Dwiggins
      > pointed out that gain was on the order of 1/1000 of an inch...

      Hrant

      You've mentioned this before and for some reason it never clicked. I
      am quite interested in documenting any information I can on early
      twentieth-century references to ink spread. Where did you find WAD's
      measurement? I assumned Justin's rundown was quite on the mark too but
      that never clicked either!!! What's wrong with that old clicker?

      Gerald
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp