Don't upgrade to suitcase fusion 12.1 yet

  • Dave Wofford
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
      I hope this avoids headaches if anyone is using Suitcase Fusion 12.0 as
      their type management program.

      DO NOT do the upgrade to 12.1 that Extensis just sent out as a ready to use
      download.

      There is a bug in it that causes the typefaces you have activated in
      Suitcase (or activate anytime after upgrading) to not be activated (or be
      able to see them in preview) anytime you shut your computer down and
      restart.
      So you have to reactivate them one by one each and every time you restart
      your computer. Having autoactivation on doesn¹t help solve the problem.

      The Extensive tech guy told me they have been inundated with calls and they
      are working on a new upgrade to fix the bug which apparently affects both
      Intel and PC chip Macs.

      Dave

      Dave Wofford
      H O R S E  &  B U G G Y  P R E S S
      Design, Letterpress Printing & More--for the Jet Age & Beyond
      401-B1 Foster St
      Durham, North Carolina 27701
      horseandbuggypress@...
      no fax, just rumors
      www.horseandbuggypress.com
      919 949 4847

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
        Hi Dave, et al!

        I recommend Linotype Font Explorer X.
        http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX
        Free for the download, or even for sharing with others. Has many important features, including the ability to clear system and application level Font Caches , and of course, a shopping cart for Linotype fonts ;-) This includes an iTunes like ability to 'sample' or preview any font in the Linotype Library, including a character map. Quite impressive.

        These guys know fonts. Obviously they know them better than the Extensis guys, or the FontAgent, etc etc.
        I've used all of these tools over the years (Mac user since 1984!), and Linotype has beat all of them hands down.

        >...The Extensive tech guy told me they have been inundated with calls and they
        >are working on a new upgrade to fix the bug which apparently affects both
        >Intel and PC chip Macs.
        >
        >Dave

        I assume you mean Intel and G4 chip...

        :-)

        At 1:10 PM -0400 11 07 06, Dave Wofford wrote:
        >I hope this avoids headaches if anyone is using Suitcase Fusion 12.0 as
        >their type management program.
        >
        >DO NOT do the upgrade to 12.1 that Extensis just sent out as a ready to use
        >download.
        >
        >There is a bug in it that causes the typefaces you have activated in
        >Suitcase (or activate anytime after upgrading) to not be activated (or be
        >able to see them in preview) anytime you shut your computer down and
        >restart.
        >So you have to reactivate them one by one each and every time you restart
        >your computer. Having autoactivation on doesn't help solve the problem.

        Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

        Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
        Philosophy Fonts Lettering
      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
          Ditto on the free software in this case, which is worth so much more.

          Harold

          On 7/11/06 1:45 PM, "Peter Fraterdeus" <peterf@...> wrote:

          > I recommend Linotype Font Explorer X.

          Boxcar Press

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
            At 5:14 PM -0400 11 07 06, Harold Kyle wrote:
            >Ditto on the free software in this case, which is worth so much more.

            Funny how that works ;-)