hrant's ink trap page

  • Brian Molanphy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
      hrant, thanks for posting your website to the list. i didn't understand the
      discussion til i saw your page. what is the purpose of the control points? in illustration
      #3, the lines from the aperture to the new corner are straight, while in #4 they are slightly
      convex. is that curving related to the control points? thanks, brian

      hrant wrote:

      There are different constructions for traps, but the
      principal one I've tried to "quantify" into a method
      which can be applied with consistency and speed.

      Here is the "first installment" explaining my method:
      http://www.themicrofoundry.com/ss_trapping1.html
    • justforjan28
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
        --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Brian Molanphy <bmolanphy@c...> wrote:
        > what is the purpose of the control points?

        So you mean the ones at the very end that turn
        the straight segements into curvy ones, right?

        Well, you could see them as only having an aesthetic role.
        A [digital] text face can in fact be used for display work,
        and it's good to account for that by reducing the jarring
        effect of a trap.

        I guess you could leave the segments flat (which would
        in fact increase the trap's "ink capacity"), and usually
        it won't matter (it might even look more appropriate in
        some designs, such as Petr van Blokland's Proforma), but
        continuity of curves is generally a good thing, at least
        in mainstream bezier philosophy.

        Also note that from a purist perspective the trap has to
        curve in as an arc because ink gain is radial, and the
        opposite of that is what might be called a "cleavage",
        for lack of a more docile term.

        hhp