Re: Photopolymer-optimization thread

  • justforjan28
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 4, 2002
      Also back in August,
      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., harold@b... wrote:
      > A P-optimized font would be a much better starting
      > point for us than one engineered for offset printing,
      > but I hope its creator would not try to do too many
      > mathematical studies of ink gain (unless he or she
      > had a research grant to study this).

      Well, maybe not any Numerical Analysis :-) but some solid
      "regular" analysis of how gain *behaves* (as opposed to what
      the exact numbers are, since they vary anyway, like you said)
      would certainly help us counteract it properly.

      What's the range? Is it uniform? What happens in acute
      angles (like inside the "v") as opposed to flat segments
      (like stems)? Some smart testing and observation can answer
      these questions - not absolutely, but hopefully well enough
      to guide type designers (as well as those simply wanting to
      modify fonts for letterpress) towards improving their work.

      hhp
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp