RE: [PPLetterpress] Rollers

  • Marnie Powers-Torrey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
      Katie-

      We use Diamond Roller out of Phoenix for rubber rollers. I highly recommend the rollers, and they are great for clean up because they are red-- any residue is clearly seen. Their number is (602)269-7262. Our contact's name is John Evans, but I think he's the regional salesperson, although very helpful with the specific needs of letterpress.

      Marnie

      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2005
        Hello People, Well it looks like I need several sets of rollers. Since the general
        concensus is that composition is a pain. Does any one have a resource for rubber or some
        sort of synthetic roller supplier that would have the specific dimensions for an OS Pearl #1.
        This was my main reason for going with the supplier I did . Without trucks or old cores
        getting it right would have been difficult. Thanks, London
        Message 3 of 14 , May 13, 2005
          London

          Composition rollers aren't necessarily a pain. Like I said, I've never
          used them but Lewis Allen in _Printing on the Hand Press_ recommended
          them. And his presswork was quite good, to say the least. I'd kind of
          like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

          Don't trust standardization, trust skill.

          Any decent roller supplier will provide you with the specs you need.
          If they won't, well then, there is something else going on there.

          Gerald

          > Hello People, Well it looks like I need several sets of
          rollers. Since the general
          > concensus is that composition is a pain. Does any one have a
          resource for rubber or some
          > sort of synthetic roller supplier that would have the specific
          dimensions for an OS Pearl #1.
          > This was my main reason for going with the supplier I did . Without
          trucks or old cores
          > getting it right would have been difficult. Thanks, London
        • alex brooks
          Message 4 of 14 , May 13, 2005
            re: victor hammer's rollers

            I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
            the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.

            although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
            qualities of composition rollers

            i'll try to find a more definitive answer
            -alex

            > I'd kind of
            > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
          • Austin Jones
            Message 5 of 14 , May 13, 2005
              I have used various rollers and brayers over the years. Plastic and Composition each have their place in the shop. Plastic will last longer and provide consistent size. Composition is unsurpassed in inking qualities. I use composition only where the environment will permit. I use plastic where there is a variation in humidity and temperature.

              All this discussion on rollers and wanting to eliminate Composition from consideration is really confusing to me. If your objective is good, consistent inking, then there is no other choice. I will agree that composition requires more care. You can't leave composition to clean up tomorrow. You must really be committed to take care of the rollers. Plastic rollers are much more forgiving and will work even if abused.

              If a printer is printing from hand set type, plate, or any other raised surface and wants to achieve the best work possible from equipment and printer, Composition Rollers must be considered as a part of the combination.

              I have several composition brayers which are used in conjunction with various flat bed presses. The wooden BobCat, Potter Proof Press or Reliance Proof Press, all are inked using composition brayers of various lengths and diameter. The softness and the tackiness of the material make depositing an even coat of ink on the printing surface an easy job.

              I just installed a set of composition rollers on a C&P 12x18. Work great. The amount of ink on the disk is more easily controlled when the rollers are depositing an even and consistent amount of ink.

              Don't Dismiss The Composition Roller!

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ
              Point Pleasant, WV
              austin@...
              http://printsbyaj.com

              Message 6 of 14 , May 14, 2005
                Hey Alex

                More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

                Gerald

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
                > re: victor hammer's rollers
                >
                > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
                >
                > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                > qualities of composition rollers
                >
                > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                > -alex
                >
                > > I'd kind of
                > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
              • David Goodrich
                Message 7 of 14 , May 14, 2005
                  Theo Rehak has Victor Hammer's press and might know what rollers he used.
                  One thing I do know is that he used ingenious roller bearers that could be
                  lifted out of the form after inking each impression without disturbing the
                  lock-up.
                  David.

                  More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

                  Gerald

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
                  > re: victor hammer's rollers
                  >
                  > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                  > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
                  >
                  > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                  > qualities of composition rollers
                  >
                  > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                  > -alex
                  >
                  > > I'd kind of
                  > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links