Re: Photopolymer-optimization thread

  • justforjan28
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 4, 2002
      Back in August,
      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Justin Howes" <jhowes@j...> wrote:
      > There's the sheer pleasure of getting it right

      Nicely said.

      > The other point running through my head is whether the 5 units
      > that you might take off a digital font, for use at 12-point,
      > should actually be expressed in terms of a physical allowance
      > for impression and ink gain, squash, whatever.

      Totally. More reason to have different cuts
      for different sizes, or ideally a MM scheme.

      > For example, -5 units is the equivalent of
      > taking off 0.00083 of an inch if you're using
      > the type at 12-point.

      Huh. It's interesting to note that -back in the 30s- Dwiggins
      pointed out that gain was on the order of 1/1000 of an inch...

      > My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be worth
      > doing anything for sizes over 18-point

      Maybe even lower, considering that immersive reading generally
      stops at 12 point. On the other hand, the color of a text block
      can be "appreciated" outside of immersive reading.

      BTW, the ATF boys had a cutoff for stopping their wonderfully
      ingenious *optical* (as opposed to ink gain) compensations
      (look at the smaller sizes of ATF Garamond for perhaps the
      best insight), but that was much higher: 40 point. And it's
      very interestingly that this is about where the scope of the
      human fovea ends, at typical reading distance.

      hhp
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp