Re: printing images on polymer plates

  • Elizabeth Gross
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006
      Real continuous tone reproduction in print, still has to be invented.
      There
      have been numerous experiments, however, to accomplish a similar effect—in
      fact, all halftone (or autotypical) reproductions are such an attempt.

      The best results you get with intaglio printing, because of its intrinsic
      quality of taking and adding ink gradually, and hence printing at
      different
      densities at a time.

      Elizabeth Ann Gross
      Deer Tree Press
      eahalegross@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mark Attwood
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
        Liz,

        I too do mostly hand printed lithography, and some letterpress on a
        vandercook, and I think if you are looking for ways to get great
        washes, that lithography, possibly using photo plates is the way to
        go. Letterpress just doesn't like tonal stuff! I have done some photo-
        litho stuff that we scanned in, and output stochaistic positives in 2
        greys and a black that worked really well, and looked "continuous
        tone" although it wasn't.

        Mark Attwood.
        The Artist's Press