Variable Speed Control on OS Platten

  • Sean Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hello,
      I have a 2.5HP 130V DC Motor that I may hook up to a variable AC output transformer to
      power my 8x12 OS C&P.

      We did an experiment by hooking the motor up to a light dimmer, but it did not seem to have
      a lot of control at the slower speeds. It would sort of "jerk" on.

      I was wondering what other methods people are using for variable speed control. I am using
      friction drive (no belt) from the large flywheel.

      Thank you very much.
      Sean
      http://www.speakspress.net
      _________________________________
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
        No! Light dimmers do not work. You need a Variac.

      • wa0dfw@copper.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
          First, it is WAY too big a motor..

          Second - It's power requirements are way above and beyond a light
          dimmer's ampacity (amperage capacity).

          Third - It's a DC motor - though they will generally run on AC, (but
          not the other way around) the output from a light dimmer is usually
          half-wave pulsed DC and you would be better off with a variable DC
          source should you wish to use this way oversized motor.

          Generally, it is my (humble) opinion that you discard this idea.

          Mo

          >I have a 2.5HP 130V DC Motor that I may hook up to a variable AC
          >output transformer to
          >power my 8x12 OS C&P.
          >
          >We did an experiment by hooking the motor up to a light dimmer, but
          >it did not seem to have
          >a lot of control at the slower speeds. It would sort of "jerk" on.
          >
          >I was wondering what other methods people are using for variable
          >speed control. I am using
          >friction drive (no belt) from the large flywheel.
          >
          >Thank you very much.
          >Sean
          >http://www.speakspress.net

        • John Hunt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2006
            Many of the presses originally came with DC motors, some of the early
            catalogs listed AC motors as an expensive extra. With the cheap
            controllers that are available today for .5 to about 5 or 10 HP
            a DC motor may solve the problem another way without a lot of expense.
            There is a company called Beal that make small HP controls. They are
            just one of many.

            John