Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: world book fair

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "John G. Henry" <JohnH@...>

      >I have not found it practical to set type "rightside up" in a
      >composing stick. You would have to start at the bottom of the copy
      >in order to put the next line on top of the other, and I, for one,
      >never know here I'm going to end. I usually know where to start.

      Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, type is set with the faces upside down in the
      stick. When it's dumped to a galley, it stays that way, because printers
      read faces upside down and left-to-right. However, when you notice a mistake
      in a proof, like leaving out a word, such that more than one line needs
      correction, you turn the type (or galley, I guess) around such that the end
      of the line is toward the open side of the galley, the faces are right-side
      up and the line reads from right to left. That way you can grab off words
      from the form in the correct order and put them back in the stick.

      I'm probably explaining this very poorly, but my only point was to suggest
      that there is no "up" and "down" for a type - it depends what you're doing
      with it.

      And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I were completely wrong about that.

      ///ark
    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
        John,

        Any of us that have been at this Letterpress stuff for more than 20 years
        are definitely RELICS.... Since I am working on 27 years now, I guess that
        includes me <grin>.

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

        Perhaps I'm missing something -- or I'm a relic as is the film
        referred to.

        John Henry
        Cedar Creek Press
      • Mark Wilden
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
          > in a proof, like leaving out a word, such that more than one line needs
          > correction, you turn the type (or galley, I guess) around such that the
          > end
          > of the line is toward the open side of the galley

          Tchah. Such that the -beginning- of the line is toward the open side of the
          galley, of course.

          ///ark