Re: world book fair

  • John G. Henry
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
      I have not found it practical to set type "rightside up" in a
      composing stick. You would have to start at the bottom of the copy
      in order to put the next line on top of the other, and I, for one,
      never know here I'm going to end. I usually know where to start.

      Large type might be set in a galley, but if setting type for pages
      of a book, the stick is essential to get all lines the correct
      length.

      Perhaps I'm missing something -- or I'm a relic as is the film
      referred to.

      John Henry
      Cedar Creek Press

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wilden" <mark@...> wrote:

> [...]
      Most of the
      > time, type is arranged in a galley with nicks away. But when
      overrunning a
      > line, the opposite is done. Just a matter of convenience, rather
      than
      > something essential about type.
      >
      > But I'm certainly no expert.
      >
      > ///ark

    • Gene
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "John G. Henry" <JohnH@...> wrote:

        I think the previous poster was making a funny.

        In setting type "right side up" you set the type with the nick up, which makes the face
        upside down.

        This is the correct and only way to set type in a type stick.

        Gene McCluney
        Old Van Buren Press
      • Mark Wilden
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
            John,

            Any of us that have been at this Letterpress stuff for more than 20 years
            are definitely RELICS.... Since I am working on 27 years now, I guess that
            includes me <grin>.

            - Lance Williams
            Williams Stationery Co.
            Camden, New York
            APA #785

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
              > in a proof, like leaving out a word, such that more than one line needs
              > correction, you turn the type (or galley, I guess) around such that the
              > end
              > of the line is toward the open side of the galley

              Tchah. Such that the -beginning- of the line is toward the open side of the
              galley, of course.

              ///ark