Re: [PPLetterpress] world book fair

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Casey McGarr" <casey@...>
      > http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject:%22Communication:%20Typesetting%22

      That was interesting.

      Does anyone else distribute like that? By letting the type somersault over
      the middle finger into the box? I forget where I read it, but I like to use
      a "trigger" motion with the index finger so that the type rolls along its
      long axis.

      ///ark
    • alex brooks
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
        On Jul 4, 2006, at 7:22 PM, Mark Wilden wrote:
        > Does anyone else distribute like that? By letting the type somersault
        > over
        > the middle finger into the box? I forget where I read it, but I like
        > to use
        > a "trigger" motion with the index finger so that the type rolls along
        > its
        > long axis.

        quote from webpage:
        > Learning to set type is one of those relics where we relish where we
        > are now in this day and age, with nice Macs and Computers to
        > automatically do the stuff for us. Why, in this film, it required us
        > to get our HANDS dirty! Yes kids, setting type is not exactly clean
        > work. You've got to find the letters, make sure they're UPSIDE DOWN
        > and LEFT TO RIGHT (this is all explained to you) and make sure you
        > have the right hand method for taking type out! What a relic this is.

        I hate this attitude....
        no one sets type UPSIDE DOWN(probably my most hated printing
        misconception).....
        what a relic this is! [/sarcasm]
      • Mark Wilden
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
            I have not found it practical to set type "rightside up" in a
            composing stick. You would have to start at the bottom of the copy
            in order to put the next line on top of the other, and I, for one,
            never know here I'm going to end. I usually know where to start.

            Large type might be set in a galley, but if setting type for pages
            of a book, the stick is essential to get all lines the correct
            length.

            Perhaps I'm missing something -- or I'm a relic as is the film
            referred to.

            John Henry
            Cedar Creek Press

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wilden" <mark@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • Gene
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "John G. Henry" <JohnH@...> wrote:

              I think the previous poster was making a funny.

              In setting type "right side up" you set the type with the nick up, which makes the face
              upside down.

              This is the correct and only way to set type in a type stick.

              Gene McCluney
              Old Van Buren Press
            • Mark Wilden
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                  John,

                  Any of us that have been at this Letterpress stuff for more than 20 years
                  are definitely RELICS.... Since I am working on 27 years now, I guess that
                  includes me <grin>.

                  - Lance Williams
                  Williams Stationery Co.
                  Camden, New York
                  APA #785

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                    > in a proof, like leaving out a word, such that more than one line needs
                    > correction, you turn the type (or galley, I guess) around such that the
                    > end
                    > of the line is toward the open side of the galley

                    Tchah. Such that the -beginning- of the line is toward the open side of the
                    galley, of course.

                    ///ark