Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: laser engraving

  • Bryce Erickson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002

      > Dear Bryce
      >
      > Thanks for the info and ideas here. I was wondering how successful were you on printing with these materials say compared
      > to metal type or photopolymer?

      Sorry folks for the posting in error. I'll try again.
      The laser-engraved phenolic prints well and, at least in my experience, is comparable to photopolymer plate. The phenolic is dimensionally stable and
      remains completely flat even after engraving, print runs and wash-ups. The surface is extremely smooth, slippery almost, so I had to stay with a stiff ink
      (Lewis Roberts Inc. Special Black, from Graphic Chemical & Ink). Another minor caveat: these non-standard materials all come in thicknesses related to
      other industries (carpentry, construction, etc.) so backing them to achieve type height is tricky.
      The K-3 or particle board, by the very nature of its manufacture (heat pressed sawdust binder mixture), does not give a very fine line for printing. Edges
      softened a bit. Also, as a wood product, it is not dimensionally stable. I tried to 'insulate' several engraved particle board plates by coating them
      with white shellac before starting the print work. Particle board's advantage: it's cheap and comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets.

      Cheers,
      Bryce Erickson
    • Erik Desmyter
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
        Neil Giroux wrote:
        > I have been working with a laser-equipped machine shop for some time to
        cut .50 copper matrices from digital type programs for use in a hand-casting
        mould.

        I was under the impression (CO2?) lasers could cut most metals but not
        copper because of refection problems. What kind of laser were you using?

        Erik
      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Gaylord Schanilec <midnight@c...> wrote:
          > Cutting wood engravings? Sounds like fighting with one hand tied behind your
          > back--or both. Gaylor.d
          >
          > bielerpr wrote:

          Hi Gaylord

          I wonder if some of the folks who use a baren for woodcut printmaking
          might not feel the same way about those who use a mechanical press!!!

          http://www.barenforum.org

          Interesting group. Right down there at the essence of it all.

          All best

          Gerald
        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
            I need to find a source for good quality rollers. I have used Brown
            Regrinding. Any other recommendations? Does anyone have a phone number for
            Brown?

            Also, the last time I got rollers recovered there, Bruce Brown said that the
            material that makes up the rollers was almost impervious to just about all
            solvents. Is this true? Someone else told me not to use oil on them, which
            is scary, since I use baby oil as a first-step cleanup process. Any
            suggestions?

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2002
              On 6/3/02 4:44 PM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
              > I need to find a source for good quality rollers. I have used Brown
              > Regrinding. Any other recommendations? Does anyone have a phone number for
              > Brown?
              763-553-1461
              2075 East Center Circle, Plymouth, MN 55441

              > Also, the last time I got rollers recovered there, Bruce Brown said that the
              > material that makes up the rollers was almost impervious to just about all
              > solvents. Is this true?
              Brown's rollers are pvc-nitrile rubber, which is resistant to just about
              every solvent except "highly polar solvents such as acetone, and MEK, ozone,
              chlorinated hydrocarbons and nitro hydrocarbons." Baby oil, ie white mineral
              oil, is fine.

              Harold

              Boxcar Press
              640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210