Re: laser engraving

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Bryce Erickson <beric8@s...> wrote:
      > Gerald and Group -
      >
      > Any printed or electronic outcomes of the Art Center workshop would be of
      > interest. But for most folks, exploring the printing potential of laser
      > engraving means dealing with service bureaus that have no knowledge of
      > print-making or letterpress. Their business, on the consumer side, is
      > engraving plaques, trophies, souvenirs, etc. and, on the commercial side,
      > engraving industial ID tags, everything from gas meter serial number plates
      > to bovine ear tags. With some persistence, one can find an engraver willing
      > to put up with a letterpress printer. The company I use claims to be able
      > to achieve 150 lpi on most synthetic materials. They also do halftone
      > engraving on some light metal although the examples i saw were photo
      > positives. Toxic fumes are dealt with by enclosing the engaver in a fume
      > hood. Bad for the environment but safe for the operators. I have printed
      > images from laser engravings on phenolic (high density) plastic and on wood
      > called (in Canada) K-3 board or particle board.
      >
      > Bryce Erickson
      > Saskatoon SK Canada

      Dear Bryce

      Thanks for the info and ideas here. I was wondering how successful were you on printing with these materials say compared
      to metal type or photopolymer?

      I'd agree with what you have to say here, which I am singularly
      interpreting (perhaps mistakenly) as limited access to technology and associated costs. On
      the other hand, is this not the case with other printing technologies
      as well?

      As an example: Even though the artifacts of metal letterpress are scattered like the
      bones of buffalo across the vast plains of eBay that does not mean
      that this technology itself was cheaply accessible in its commercial
      heyday. The cost of new presses, casting equipment, foundry type, etc
      was quite prohibitive. If you were to try and have a typeface cast in
      foundry type today you would find you would probably have to appeal
      to the singular likes of a Theo Rehak and the associated costs would
      also be quite prohibitive. And Theo can only do so much as he himself
      is limited to the yet available manufactured elements that were
      required to make the whole process produce a single piece of type.

      I believe this applies in a not disimilar fashion to digital type as
      well. A well drawn technically functional typeface is quite expensive
      to undertake. I know, I had to have a quite complex face commissioned
      as part of a project and it cost almost as much as one of those
      digital laser engravers. Had there been more than one purchaser
      obviously the price would drop down in parcelling it out. But even in
      this instance (taking into account the historical development of software/hardware), it is quite clear to me that the single resultant
      product of any printing technology is the result of enormous
      investment that the end consumer can rare imagine.

      For most of us here, letterpress is a hobby, for some a semblance of a
      livelihood, a few do well enough; but we do not represent a viable
      market for any of these technologies. At best all we are doing is
      picking up the scraps here and there, making this work with that or that with this, and
      deriving pleasure or other gain out of the undertaking. And that is quite
      an accomplishment.

      I am getting more and more folks providing me with laser printed fake
      negs pumped up with toner enhancing spray. Why? They don't want to go
      to the service bureau or can't afford to, or for the project they
      have in mind, don't feel it is warranted. And they have found an
      alternative that works well enough for what they are doing.

      There is
      always a way, whether you take the low road or the high road, you've going to get there; all you have to do is keep moving on down that old "type road."

      All best

      Gerald
    • Neil Giroux
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
        Page 2. I have been working with a laser-equipped machine shop
        for some time to cut .50 copper matrices from digital type
        programs for use in a hand-casting mould. The process work fine
        (mostly) but tends to be somewhat costly. And the learning curve
        for the machinist is a bit steep, too.

      • Gaylord Schanilec
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
          Cutting wood engravings? Sounds like fighting with one hand tied behind your
          back--or both. Gaylor.d

          bielerpr wrote:

          > I took the workshop on using the laser engravers at Art Center. Quite
          > amazing. I can see all sorts of uses for this. Rebuilding wood type
          > collections, cutting wood engravings, keeping artifacts of specific
          > forms, etc.
          >
          > This will even engrave halftones (though I don't know yet the
          > effective line screen) and can alter depth of surface for other
          > effects. The line of cut and/or engraving is almost not measurable so
          > quite fine forms could be created. The depth of cut is limited to
          > half an inch and the machines at Art Center don't cut metal but
          > almost anything else is fair game (unless the material produces toxic
          > fumes). So some kind of a base is necessary. I'll keep you informed.
          >
          > Gerald
          >

          > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Encountering problems?
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

        • Bryce Erickson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002

            > Dear Bryce
            >
            > Thanks for the info and ideas here. I was wondering how successful were you on printing with these materials say compared
            > to metal type or photopolymer?

            Sorry folks for the posting in error. I'll try again.
            The laser-engraved phenolic prints well and, at least in my experience, is comparable to photopolymer plate. The phenolic is dimensionally stable and
            remains completely flat even after engraving, print runs and wash-ups. The surface is extremely smooth, slippery almost, so I had to stay with a stiff ink
            (Lewis Roberts Inc. Special Black, from Graphic Chemical & Ink). Another minor caveat: these non-standard materials all come in thicknesses related to
            other industries (carpentry, construction, etc.) so backing them to achieve type height is tricky.
            The K-3 or particle board, by the very nature of its manufacture (heat pressed sawdust binder mixture), does not give a very fine line for printing. Edges
            softened a bit. Also, as a wood product, it is not dimensionally stable. I tried to 'insulate' several engraved particle board plates by coating them
            with white shellac before starting the print work. Particle board's advantage: it's cheap and comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets.

            Cheers,
            Bryce Erickson
          • Erik Desmyter
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
              Neil Giroux wrote:
              > I have been working with a laser-equipped machine shop for some time to
              cut .50 copper matrices from digital type programs for use in a hand-casting
              mould.

              I was under the impression (CO2?) lasers could cut most metals but not
              copper because of refection problems. What kind of laser were you using?

              Erik
            • bielerpr
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Gaylord Schanilec <midnight@c...> wrote:
                > Cutting wood engravings? Sounds like fighting with one hand tied behind your
                > back--or both. Gaylor.d
                >
                > bielerpr wrote:

                Hi Gaylord

                I wonder if some of the folks who use a baren for woodcut printmaking
                might not feel the same way about those who use a mechanical press!!!

                http://www.barenforum.org

                Interesting group. Right down there at the essence of it all.

                All best

                Gerald
              • Katie Harper
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                  I need to find a source for good quality rollers. I have used Brown
                  Regrinding. Any other recommendations? Does anyone have a phone number for
                  Brown?

                  Also, the last time I got rollers recovered there, Bruce Brown said that the
                  material that makes up the rollers was almost impervious to just about all
                  solvents. Is this true? Someone else told me not to use oil on them, which
                  is scary, since I use baby oil as a first-step cleanup process. Any
                  suggestions?

                  Katie Harper
                  Ars Brevis Press
                  Cincinnati, OH
                • Harold Kyle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2002
                    On 6/3/02 4:44 PM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
                    > I need to find a source for good quality rollers. I have used Brown
                    > Regrinding. Any other recommendations? Does anyone have a phone number for
                    > Brown?
                    763-553-1461
                    2075 East Center Circle, Plymouth, MN 55441

                    > Also, the last time I got rollers recovered there, Bruce Brown said that the
                    > material that makes up the rollers was almost impervious to just about all
                    > solvents. Is this true?
                    Brown's rollers are pvc-nitrile rubber, which is resistant to just about
                    every solvent except "highly polar solvents such as acetone, and MEK, ozone,
                    chlorinated hydrocarbons and nitro hydrocarbons." Baby oil, ie white mineral
                    oil, is fine.

                    Harold

                    Boxcar Press
                    640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210