Re: Anderson Vreeland vs. Jet Platemakers

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2006
      Bryan

      I had to go way back in the archives to retrieve this one. Curious as
      to the brand name of the ballast that is in your machine?

      I recently discussed this topic with A&V and they are now recommending
      the Work Horse 5 which feeds two lamps. They told me re-wiring for my
      Orbital VIII is inevitable. My ballasts are CosmoTronic. The brand is
      long gone and the WH5s are a completely different configuration. I am
      not looking forward to this.

      My experience is don't rely on Grainger for the parts, apparently it
      does not take very long at all for any electrical component to go
      obsolete. I had a hard time just buying spare lamp connectors from
      them. I broke one recently changing the lamps out. A&V's pricing for
      parts is pretty much near market as far as I can tell and they will
      hunt for the parts for you.

      I bought my machine about eleven years ago, thus the concern about the
      ballasts, but at that time there was no contract regarding the
      purchase of plate material direct from them. How would they know anyway?

      I've not experienced any out-of-the-ordinary problems with the
      machine, but it is getting on in age and I am trying to cover my
      bases. The service from A&V has been great, an email inquiry on the
      weekend will get a phone response on Monday morning.