Re: Wet Paper

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2006
      > Casey McGarr <casey@...>
      wrote: OK, I'm not real
      clear at all as to why paper is soaked before printing. Any help
      would be
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Where is everyone? Getting ready for the NBA Finals tonight?
      >
      > Casey

      The basic reason is to soften the paper.

      The physics of printing is to transfer ink from the completely flat
      surface of the face of type (or plate) to the extremely rough surface
      (microscopically) of paper. To get a clear impression you have to
      transfer ink from the entire surface of the type to the corresponding
      surface of the paper. Because the paper surface is irregular, you
      will initially only transfer ink to the highest parts of the paper.
      There are basically three things you can do to get ink into the lower
      parts of the paper: 1. Use gobs of ink, which is a generally a
      disaster, but sometimes necessary when printing from large wood
      types. 2. Apply more pressure so as to give a heavier impression
      and use a hard backing. The type can thereby crush the paper. This
      is what we are basically doing most of the time. It works well with
      much general work, especially on either soft or smooth papers. 3.
      Dampen the paper to allow the type to flatten it with much less
      pressure.

      Working with a hand press, which applies pressure of the entire
      platten uniformly, I find that dampening the paper is often
      necessary, expecially with linoleum blocks or other large solids. I
      would not think it would be as important if you are using a cylinder
      press.

      In any case, the paper should only be slightly dampened. There is a
      lot in the archives about this topic.

      David.