Re: Inverse Type Size

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2006
      Mike

      There are a couple of things you can do at the prepress stage that
      might help.

      Use the heavier weight of the typeface and track it out slightly. Even
      though the prevailing wisdom is to not letterspace lowercase type, it
      will help you here. If the app you are using will also allow you to
      adjust the unit width of the characters, that might serve purpose as
      well.

      At the platemaking stage, a short exposure time will keep the relief structure from growing, which will provide you with a deeper well and help delay fill.

      You could also modify the character width but for that you would need
      font-editing software such as Fontographer or FontLab.

      Gerald Lange
      http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      > Gerald,
      >
      > thank you for the response. It is true, the plate is hard to access on
      > this press... I was thinking closer to 8pt text, mostly medium or demi
      > Franklin Gothic, since it is a notably clear font. It may work, but as
      > you say, I will have to be careful of the amount of ink on the disk,
      > and on the forme.
      >
      > -mike
      >
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello
      > >
      > > You can "go" as small as is legible. We have printed 4-pt text clean.
      > > But this is with a flatbed cylinder and constant attention to cleaning
      > > of the plate and then working back up to edition state.
      > >
      > > It doesn't matter the platemaker, all industrial grade platemakers are
      > > capable of producing high quality plates, the problem is more the
      > > press. A platen jobber is not going to facilitate cleaning the form as
      > > easily as a flatbed. You will be fighting ink gain and accumulation,
      > > so the larger the point size the better in this scenario.
      > >
      > > Gerald Lange
      > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      > >
      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "blue_letterpress" <dukes@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone have any experience making plates that print with
      Inverse