What I'd like to hear about...

  • nespmoht41755
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      I feel in love with printing at the age of eleven. My mother divorsed
      and single managed to to send me to a boarding school for boys like
      myself in Pennsylvania. "Church Farm School" is still there. Besides
      learning to milk cows and tend pigs there was a print shop! I still
      have the first piece I set and printed on a C&P (Mom kept it!). During
      my stay at the school I worked for a man named Tom Scheurlein. At the
      time I had no idea what a "Tramp Printer" was. How I loved his stories.
      Printing was not only a trade, but an adventure. Now that he has
      passed away I often wish I could tell him how much of an influence he
      was on my life. Being a typical "lost" teenager my next adventure was
      to work for an unemployeed linotyper who had decided to go into
      business for himself. It beat washing dishes or going to college back
      in the seventies. From "Dave Blair" I learned to wait each month
      patiently for next copy of Printing Impressions. We would read "Otto
      Boutin's" newest story out loud and laugh. The stories of "Otto's
      Night Watch" still make me smile. I'd highly recommend them to anyone.
      About that time my then future mother in law began to worry. Printing
      in her eye's was not a great future, no matter how much fun it was to
      play with hot metal! I was presented with a "Help Wanted Ad" for a
      printing apprentist one Friday night and told this might be good for
      her daughter? Thus began a thirty plus year journey because of a
      wooden tray called a "California Job Case'. I got the job because I
      set hand type. "Joe Nelson" and "Henry Nishimura" then decided what I
      was to learn. It makes me teary eyed knowing what a great honor it is
      and was to be with men like them. Now it is my turn to teach my son
      and an others the love of a craft & trade.
      Now what I'd like to know is more about photopolymer plates used in
      letterpress printing...
      Scott Thompsen - Nelson Press
    • Silver MayKitten
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
        *Hides hius eyes under his paws*

        Oh! Dear! Another Otto. B. Fan. I was addicted to his stories
        too. I was sad when he retired, even sadder when he passed
        away.

        MaiK├Ątzchen

        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess