Re: [PPLetterpress] What happened here?

  • Kelly Maron
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 4, 2006
      Ian,
      Thanks for the encouragement.

      I have a BFA in art education and an MFA in photography and I think the side of me that is a trained teacher, assumes that 'no question is a stupid question' though I have only actually asked a few questions on the post, none of which I have thought to be stupid. :) What I have realized through some of the hostile posts, some of the defensive posts and some of the encouraging posts is that not everyone is a "teacher". Nor do they want to be. And that is okay.

      I think the younger people in the group would like to think that the experienced people would like to share their knowledge, advice, war stories etc.... because we value and appreciate what they know. We assume they will want us to carry on their 'legacy' (as someone earlier made a wonderful point earlier). That is not always the case for various reasons. Many of which seem to echo having bad experiences when teaching younger people who aren't as dedicated as they should be. As someone teaching high-schoolers all day, how to appreciate art & photography, I can empathize with that sentiment. There is nothing worse than spending time and energy on something that you are so passionate about only to have it thrown in your face by someone who doesn't value it in the same way.

      However, the 'student' side of me (that we should all still have) knows that I am not those students. I know I am not looking for a quick fix or an easy way out. Now how do I prove that? Perseverance. What I think everyone should realize is that respect should be earned on all fronts and from both sides. I refuse to believe that the experienced folks are done learning or that the younger folks have nothing of value to share. I can't believe so much time has been spent this past week ripping each other to shreds when we should ban together. Perhaps this is idealistic but I guess we can only take things so seriously before it becomes pointless.

      I guess the point of this exhaustive email, with perfect capitalization I might add :), is to say thank you to all of those who have been and will continue to be a wonderful source or encouragement and support. People who post to this board spouting angry nonsense, throwing their knowledgeable use of expletives around (this is not the same as thoughtful opposition to a contradictory viewpoint) only intend to further divide us. This is where we (or at least I) will exercise the right, rather than get all riled up or discouraged, to simply hit the delete button.

      Kelly

      Ian Bristow <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:
      Hi Kelly I have not posted on this group for quite
      some time, I was blasted about asking stupid
      questions. However you need to ask many questions to
      learn and if you have the determination and heart you
      can print anything that comes your way.

    • Lance Williams
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 4, 2006
        I would love to offer an apprenticeship to anyone willing to learn
        letterpress printing, but there are several problems with the concept in
        our case:

        #1: Location: Rural Upstate New York, 35 miles NNE of Syracuse, in the
        middle of nowhere, so it is hard to find anyone to want to move here.
        Outside of working, there is little or nothing to do.... (Hey, that may be
        a benefit, the apprentice can work 24/7 <grin>).

        #2: Current employee: We have one part time employee working on our one
        regular local commercial account, and would not want to displace him for an
        apprentice.

        #3: Work Volume: Since our fund raising side of the business has suffered
        drastic decreases in the past 5-6 years, we are working on developing other
        lines of work, but until that develops more fully, we just don't have
        enough work to keep anyone on a full-time basis...

        Other than that, I would love to share my experience of operating a
        commercial letterpress operation for the past 26 years. We have (4) Miehle
        Vertical V-50's, (5) B. Verner Model FM Multipresses (for envelopes,
        mainly), (1) C&P 10x15 Craftsman w/Rice Feeder, (1) C&P 10x15 Craftsman
        Handfed and (1) C&P 8x12 NS. We use all of these presses on various
        projects. When we were 100% in the stationery fund raising business, each
        press was set up to run a single product line. Now, I am looking for
        additional other work to keep more of this equipment in operation more
        often. Once that developes, maybe if there are some interested people, I
        could take on an apprentice or two to learn the craft. Oh, yeah, our type
        setting department consists of 3 Intertypes and 2 Ludlows with 40+ fonts
        for the Ludlows and 20+ fonts for the Intertypes. We long ago dumped all
        of our foundry type to the scrap dealer (20 years ago or so, my father's
        decision, not mine....).

        With this in mind as well: an apprenticeship with us would include most of
        what Allen described, as we have about the same type of operation as his,
        except for the foundry type part of the operation. (We do still have 3
        cases of foundry type, however, so someone could learn the layout of a
        Calif. Job Case, etc...) It is a dirty job at times, and everything to
        keep a commercial shop operating has to be in the brain of the owner, so
        you have to learn everything from the bottom up....

        - Lance Williams, President
        Williams Stationery Co.
        (Printer of Kadet Stationery)
        Camden, New York
        www.kadetstationery.com
        APA #785

        thoughtful email should be. I DO think us young ones need to know what is
        involved, the unglamorous and unromantic side. But know that there are a
        few of us out there who may be naive and inexperienced but WILL work our
        butts off. Hopefully this group allows us to find each other.