Re: [PPLetterpress] Printer's Apprentice

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Thanks Tom
      That's wonderful.

      :-)

      At 1:28 AM -0400 2 06 06, typetom@... wrote:
      >Printer's Apprentice
      >for Elaine Peck on her 80th birthday
      >that I know I have two sheets
      >under my thumb, though for a moment
      >they lift as one, and can slip one
      >free from the other in time & let it go
      >that it drops in place in time
      >each sheet taking the kiss,
      >that I know the rhythm of the press
      >that I can hear type talking,
      that it clicks it tongue ...

      Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

      Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
      Philosophy Fonts Lettering
    • Graham and Kathy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        On 2/6/06 06:28, "typetom@..." <typetom@...> wrote:

        > I'm happy to answer letterpress questions and
        > consider possibilities, by phone, by email, face to face, most any time, most
        > any
        > length of conversation. I have been repaid many times over already.

        Well done Tom, we feel the same.
        Incline Press welcomes students, apprentices and visitors to the press. Come
        for a day and print a broadsheet, come for a week and learn the lay of the
        case and how to sew a booklet. You want to stay longer? Let's talk. Get in
        touch; ask a question, tell us what you want to know. The only thing we like
        more than talking about printing is printing. If you can find your way to
        Oldham, we'll try to help.

        Graham Moss and Kathy Whalen

        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com
      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
          One more thought on apprenticeships...
          I've learned a tremendous amount as a member of the Amalgamated Printers'
          Association (see http://www.apa-letterpress.org/) and would recommend
          joining as a way to increase your skills, whatever level you are. Several
          PPL members are also APA members and I've had the tremendous good fortune to
          meet them (some in person, some on-line) by virtue of membership. Every
          month members receive a bundle, and are required to contribute 150 copies of
          something 4X/year. The range of abilities is wide, from accomplished fine
          press printers to hobbyists to collectors extraordinaire. Many members well
          past retirement have been printing since their teens and have a wealth of
          knowledge to share. There is nothing like praise and encouragement from
          folks who know the effort you've expended.

          Finally, I think it's critically important to pass on the knowledge (and
          stuff!) these older printers possess. I've seen them benefit as well,
          exposed to the work of newer, younger printers who do things that aren't
          "old school" but are well designed and printed.

          --Jessica

          Jessica Spring
          SPRINGTIDE PRESS
          http://www.springtidepress.com