Printer's Apprentice

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      that I make multiple copies
      of each decision
      that I know yes
      no work is ever done
      but is made of a thousand pieces
      cast out across great distance
      that one copy may find you
      as well as I find myself

      This my small tribute to one of the great hobby printers of the National
      Amateur Press Association. I'm happy to answer letterpress questions and
      consider possibilities, by phone, by email, face to face, most any time, most any
      length of conversation. I have been repaid many times over already.

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951
      http://members.aol.com/typetom

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Thanks Tom
        That's wonderful.

        :-)

        At 1:28 AM -0400 2 06 06, typetom@... wrote:
        >Printer's Apprentice
        >for Elaine Peck on her 80th birthday
        >that I know I have two sheets
        >under my thumb, though for a moment
        >they lift as one, and can slip one
        >free from the other in time & let it go
        >that it drops in place in time
        >each sheet taking the kiss,
        >that I know the rhythm of the press
        >that I can hear type talking,
        that it clicks it tongue ...

        Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

        Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
        Philosophy Fonts Lettering
      • Graham and Kathy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
          On 2/6/06 06:28, "typetom@..." <typetom@...> wrote:

          > I'm happy to answer letterpress questions and
          > consider possibilities, by phone, by email, face to face, most any time, most
          > any
          > length of conversation. I have been repaid many times over already.

          Well done Tom, we feel the same.
          Incline Press welcomes students, apprentices and visitors to the press. Come
          for a day and print a broadsheet, come for a week and learn the lay of the
          case and how to sew a booklet. You want to stay longer? Let's talk. Get in
          touch; ask a question, tell us what you want to know. The only thing we like
          more than talking about printing is printing. If you can find your way to
          Oldham, we'll try to help.

          Graham Moss and Kathy Whalen

          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          http://www.inclinepress.com
        • Jessica Spring
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            One more thought on apprenticeships...
            I've learned a tremendous amount as a member of the Amalgamated Printers'
            Association (see http://www.apa-letterpress.org/) and would recommend
            joining as a way to increase your skills, whatever level you are. Several
            PPL members are also APA members and I've had the tremendous good fortune to
            meet them (some in person, some on-line) by virtue of membership. Every
            month members receive a bundle, and are required to contribute 150 copies of
            something 4X/year. The range of abilities is wide, from accomplished fine
            press printers to hobbyists to collectors extraordinaire. Many members well
            past retirement have been printing since their teens and have a wealth of
            knowledge to share. There is nothing like praise and encouragement from
            folks who know the effort you've expended.

            Finally, I think it's critically important to pass on the knowledge (and
            stuff!) these older printers possess. I've seen them benefit as well,
            exposed to the work of newer, younger printers who do things that aren't
            "old school" but are well designed and printed.

            --Jessica

            Jessica Spring
            SPRINGTIDE PRESS
            http://www.springtidepress.com