Re: [PPLetterpress] Aging plates?

  • Silver MayKitten
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2002
      20 W. lamps may be small wattage, and only 24" long, but if your
      vacuum frame is only 23x33" any more length is wasted. You put one
      lamp every 6" of the width of the frame about a foot away from the
      glass, and you get good coverage.

      MayKitten
      --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
      > Ed Inman wrote:
      > >
      > > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the
      > Letpresss group
      > > too.
      > >
      > > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical.
      > Regular
      > > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with
      > such low
      > > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps
      > that someone
      > > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the
      > plate even
      > > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck
      > with a
      > > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
      > >
      > > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15
      > minutes than
      > > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I
      > typically let the
      > > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a
      > better $10
      > > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
      > >
      > > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in
      > professional
      > > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a
      > serious
      > > do-it-yourselfer.
      > >

      > Dear Ed
      >
      > I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is
      > less useful
      > than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with
      > halftones.
      >
      > I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here)
      > have portable
      > suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like.
      > Also I think
      > Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive
      > stand-alone
      > exposure unit.
      >
      > Gerald

      =====
      Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

      From the book, Charge of the Goddess
      BY: Doreen Valiente

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2002
        While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question for
        those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
        dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
        occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
        small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my shop.

        I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
        vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
      • Lee and Barbara Mason
        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2002
          Katie,
          My vacuun failed to work for awhile, turned out I had moved the machine and
          it was no longer perfectly level....so simple and so hard to figure out what
          was wrong. However in the mean time, I used a piece of foam with the plate
          on top and glass on top of the plate..the contact was as good as the vacuum
          and it worked well as the glass was pretty heavy. Of course this would not
          work for units that flip over.
          Barbara
          > While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question
          for
          > those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
          > dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
          > occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
          > small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my
          shop.

          > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has
          no
          > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?
          >

          > Katie Harper
          > Ars Brevis Press
          > Cincinnati, OH
          > 513-233-9588
          >

          > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Encountering problems?
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 26 , May 14, 2002
            On 5/14/02 9:17 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
            > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
            > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

            Katie:

            I have several used vacuum pumps laying around here. If you'd like more info
            you can contact me off-list.

            Harold

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
            Boxcar Press
            640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
            315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
            www.boxcarpress.com
            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          • Joel Benson
            Message 5 of 26 , May 14, 2002
              Hi Ed,

              Sorry for the slow reply here- yes, they are called "Blacklights" on the bulbs, but they aren't purple-looking like the incandescent blacklights. They cost me about $15 each, I think. I'll look at the product numbers when I get home- though I think it is a pretty standard Phillips bulb. I use about a 4 minute exposure time for fine type, 30 to 45 seconds for big solids or halftone screens.

              I don't think it is the wattage that makes the difference so much as the specific wavelength of UV that the bulb gives off. I think the lamps you are using probably emit a large amount of light at one end of the UV spectrum and a lesser amount at the other end, which happens to be the end that the polymer is sensitive to. I remember a discussion of this with details about the wavelengths on either this list or LETPRESS, but I don't have it saved anywhere.

              It sounds like there is a lot of leeway in exactly how far the bulbs need to be from the plate material. Silver May Kitten has the bulbs a foot away, Brian Allen has his 1.5-2" away and much closer together. That seems to define a range of acceptability. Using a Stouffer scale would tell you how long your exposure needs to be for whatever set up you construct.

              Joel

              Joel Benson
              Dependable Letterpress
              San Francisco

              Message 6 of 26 , May 18, 2002
                Vivian,
                You are wise in inquiring before trying the Morgan Expansion Trucks. I
                tried some on my Columbian No 2 and found there was not enough space for
                them.
                I suggest you contact Fritz Klinke at NA Graphics, who stocks them. He
                can be reached at nagraph@.... He can probably tell you whether or
                not they will fit. If they fit, they will solve your problem.
                You also might want to post an inquiry to the Letpress Discussion Group.
                I suspect more of their people use platen presses than the PPL group.

                Sorry not to have responded sooner. I have been away the past week.

                David