plate configurations

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2001
      Dear David

      Two considerations to be given to determining which plate
      configuration to buy, are the height of the base and the kind of press
      you are using. My two cents worth on this:

      Generally on a hand-operated flatbed cylinder proof press or an iron
      handpress where there is a greater control over inking (in terms of a
      certain consistency with comparative sheeting and a seemingly greater
      concern for ink transfer or splitting), a plate height between .037–
      .039" is all that is required. Relief depths here are generally at
      .026". The shallower the relief depth the more image fidelity
      improves, to what degree I couldn't say, but when you are trying to
      coax out just a bit more perfection, these thousands of an inch begin
      to matter. If you are running platens or motorized cylinder where ink
      runoff is more of a problem and roller height is generally not as
      closely monitored because of editioning concerns, the recommendation I
      have been told is to go with a .060" plate height.

      The three best known flatbases are the Boxcar Base, the Patmag, and
      the Bunting Cerface.

      The Boxcar Base is .874", with a allowance for the adhesive layer at
      .004"; thus requiring a plate with a thickness of .039".

      The Patmag is cut at a standard thickness of .858" and for a .038"
      plate would require an underlay of .022".

      The Bunting Cerface is cut with allowance to the height of the
      specified plate thickness. Since Bunting does not recommend underlays
      the consumer has to know exactly what plates they will be using. I run
      .038" plates and have the Cerface ground to .88". There is a bit of
      latitude. With this configuration I can also run .037" for halftone
      work or .039" for solids.

      Hope those individual numbers all add up to the correct totals!!! And
      if I'm in error on any of this I would surely appreciate correction.

      Also hope this helps and isn't all the more confusing.

      Ger
    • hodgdondc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2001
        Dear Gerald:
        Thanks for the detail and the follow up. I am much obliged.

        David Hodgdon
      • D. McNaughton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28, 2001
          Thanks very much Gerald. All this stuff is very helpful.

          David