Re: [PPLetterpress] laser printer negs

  • mark baisi
    Message 1 of 26 , May 12 9:21 PM
      Hello Brian,
      I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
      sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
      chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
      before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
      Mark

      Message 2 of 26 , May 13 10:21 AM
        Ed Inman wrote:

        > You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
        > this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
        > "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
        > even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
        > printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
        >
        > For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
        > Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
        > with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
        > directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
        > to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
        > from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
        > the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
        >
        > Ed

        > has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
        > mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
        > are 40W.<<<

        Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
        by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
        this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
        pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

        Gerald
      • Martin R Gutzmer
        Message 3 of 26 , May 13 10:37 AM
          But the RIPOFF guys is they will not sell the fluid to just anyone - you have to have bought the unit from them.
          God Bless,
          Martin
          I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
          sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
          chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
          before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
          Mark

          >>i wonder how someone could use the film star 2 developer fluid without the
          >fim star 2 developer unit. the unit is nothing more than a basin for the
          >fluid and two soft rollers, like wringers on an antique washing machine,
          >that evenly squeegee excess fluid off the neg. it is overpriced. >
          >best, brian

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

          Encountering problems?
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 26 , May 13 12:20 PM
            Ed Inman wrote:

            > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the Letpresss group
            > too.
            >
            > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical. Regular
            > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with such low
            > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps that someone
            > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the plate even
            > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck with a
            > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
            >
            > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15 minutes than
            > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I typically let the
            > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a better $10
            > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
            >
            > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in professional
            > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a serious
            > do-it-yourselfer.

            Dear Ed

            I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is less useful
            than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with halftones.

            I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here) have portable
            suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like. Also I think
            Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive stand-alone
            exposure unit.

            Gerald
          • Joel Benson
            Message 5 of 26 , May 13 1:40 PM
              Katie,

              Why not use the UV fluorescent tubes that the manufacturers specify? I understand using what you have on hand (as opposed to going out and spending thousands on a new machine), but if you are going to construct a light source you might as well set up the fluorescent bulbs. You'll use far less electricity, don't have to worry about the heat from the bulbs, and you bring the exposure time down to three or four minutes. That time really adds up if you ever have to make a lot of plates!

              Joel

              Joel Benson
              Dependable Letterpress
              San Francisco

              Message 6 of 26 , May 13 2:16 PM
                This makes sense, but what type of fixture would one use? A regular
                fluorescent fixture? I have a light table with fluorescent tubes. Could that
                be adapted if I got the right UV bulbs? Is there exposure information
                available about times, distances, etc.?

                Katie Harper
                Ars Brevis Press
                Cincinnati, OH
                513-233-9588

                Message 7 of 26 , May 13 2:58 PM
                  The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs are 40W.

                  You'd want to mount the fixtures over whatever setup you are going to use to contact the negative to the plate. You need some kind of vacuum frame to get good contact for consistent, fine results. Ed Inman, in earlier posts, describes using the vacuum frame in his process camera, mine is homemade using a piece of scored formica and some Kreene.

                  I think there is probably exposure information either in the archives of this list, or the resource folders. The fluorescent set-ups I have seen, both "real" and homemade, have the bulbs 2-4" from the plate material. I don't know how critical that distance is.

                  Joel

                  Joel Benson
                  Dependable Letterpress
                  San Francisco

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 13 5:15 PM

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 13 6:34 PM

                      Gerald wrote:
                      > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in
                      there
                      > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system."
                      In
                      > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                      > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

                    • Brian Allen
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 13 8:31 PM
                        My homemade platemaking system was an attempt to mimic the expensive
                        machines as closely as possible. The fluorescent units I used were single
                        bulb ones, wired together and fit as closely as possible (clearance between
                        bulbs is about 1/2 inch) to get even exposure, just like the machines. I
                        think the double units put the bulbs too far apart. I got the bulbs from a
                        large lightbulb supply company in Denver. Big cities would have at least one
                        such place. Clearance to the vacuum frame was 1.5 - 2 inches.

                        My article is in the PCBA (Pacific Center for the Book Arts) journal
                        "Ampersand" Resource Issue, which comes out every few years. I also put
                        together the letterpress resource section. There are sections for
                        bookbinding, paper, conservation, typography, and so on - 52 pages of
                        addresses/links info for the book arts. Edited by Alastair Johnston.

                        I'll see about putting my article in the PPL resource area, but you'd do
                        better to buy the issue, for all the other great stuff in there - $15
                        includes postage, and you can get one by sending a check made out to: PCBA,
                        300 De Haro St., San Francisco, CA 94103. It's a volunteer organization, so
                        be patient.

                        Brian Allen
                        Mountain View, California
                        ----------
                        on 5/13/02 10:21 AM, Gerald Lange at bieler@... wrote:

                        > Ed Inman wrote:
                        >>
                        >> You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
                        >> this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
                        >> "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
                        >> even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
                        >> printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
                        >>
                        >> For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
                        >> Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
                        >> with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
                        >> directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
                        >> to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
                        >> from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
                        >> the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
                        >>
                        >> Ed

                        >> has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                        >> mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                        >> are 40W.<<<
                        >
                        > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
                        > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
                        > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                        > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."
                        >
                        > Gerald
                        >

                        > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                        >
                        > Encountering problems?
                        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                      • Silver MayKitten
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 14 5:45 AM
                          20 W. lamps may be small wattage, and only 24" long, but if your
                          vacuum frame is only 23x33" any more length is wasted. You put one
                          lamp every 6" of the width of the frame about a foot away from the
                          glass, and you get good coverage.

                          MayKitten
                          --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                          > Ed Inman wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the
                          > Letpresss group
                          > > too.
                          > >
                          > > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical.
                          > Regular
                          > > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with
                          > such low
                          > > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps
                          > that someone
                          > > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the
                          > plate even
                          > > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck
                          > with a
                          > > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                          > >
                          > > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15
                          > minutes than
                          > > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I
                          > typically let the
                          > > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a
                          > better $10
                          > > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                          > >
                          > > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in
                          > professional
                          > > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a
                          > serious
                          > > do-it-yourselfer.
                          > >

                          > Dear Ed
                          >
                          > I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is
                          > less useful
                          > than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with
                          > halftones.
                          >
                          > I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here)
                          > have portable
                          > suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like.
                          > Also I think
                          > Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive
                          > stand-alone
                          > exposure unit.
                          >
                          > Gerald

                          =====
                          Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

                          From the book, Charge of the Goddess
                          BY: Doreen Valiente

                          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                          http://launch.yahoo.com
                        • Katie Harper
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 14 6:17 AM
                            While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question for
                            those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                            dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                            occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                            small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my shop.

                            I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                            vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                            Katie Harper
                            Ars Brevis Press
                            Cincinnati, OH
                            513-233-9588
                          • Lee and Barbara Mason
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 14 6:40 AM
                              Katie,
                              My vacuun failed to work for awhile, turned out I had moved the machine and
                              it was no longer perfectly level....so simple and so hard to figure out what
                              was wrong. However in the mean time, I used a piece of foam with the plate
                              on top and glass on top of the plate..the contact was as good as the vacuum
                              and it worked well as the glass was pretty heavy. Of course this would not
                              work for units that flip over.
                              Barbara
                              > While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question
                              for
                              > those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                              > dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                              > occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                              > small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my
                              shop.

                              > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has
                              no
                              > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?
                              >

                              > Katie Harper
                              > Ars Brevis Press
                              > Cincinnati, OH
                              > 513-233-9588
                              >

                              > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                              >
                              > Encountering problems?
                              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                            • Harold Kyle
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 14 7:09 AM
                                On 5/14/02 9:17 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
                                > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                Katie:

                                I have several used vacuum pumps laying around here. If you'd like more info
                                you can contact me off-list.

                                Harold

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                Boxcar Press
                                640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                www.boxcarpress.com
                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                              • Joel Benson
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 14 10:41 AM
                                  Hi Ed,

                                  Sorry for the slow reply here- yes, they are called "Blacklights" on the bulbs, but they aren't purple-looking like the incandescent blacklights. They cost me about $15 each, I think. I'll look at the product numbers when I get home- though I think it is a pretty standard Phillips bulb. I use about a 4 minute exposure time for fine type, 30 to 45 seconds for big solids or halftone screens.

                                  I don't think it is the wattage that makes the difference so much as the specific wavelength of UV that the bulb gives off. I think the lamps you are using probably emit a large amount of light at one end of the UV spectrum and a lesser amount at the other end, which happens to be the end that the polymer is sensitive to. I remember a discussion of this with details about the wavelengths on either this list or LETPRESS, but I don't have it saved anywhere.

                                  It sounds like there is a lot of leeway in exactly how far the bulbs need to be from the plate material. Silver May Kitten has the bulbs a foot away, Brian Allen has his 1.5-2" away and much closer together. That seems to define a range of acceptability. Using a Stouffer scale would tell you how long your exposure needs to be for whatever set up you construct.

                                  Joel

                                  Joel Benson
                                  Dependable Letterpress
                                  San Francisco

                                  Joel wrote:
                                  >>> The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have
                                  has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                                  mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                                  are 40W.<<<

                                  To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                  PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

                                  Encountering problems?
                                  PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                • David Goodrich
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 18 5:40 PM
                                    Vivian,
                                    You are wise in inquiring before trying the Morgan Expansion Trucks. I
                                    tried some on my Columbian No 2 and found there was not enough space for
                                    them.
                                    I suggest you contact Fritz Klinke at NA Graphics, who stocks them. He
                                    can be reached at nagraph@.... He can probably tell you whether or
                                    not they will fit. If they fit, they will solve your problem.
                                    You also might want to post an inquiry to the Letpress Discussion Group.
                                    I suspect more of their people use platen presses than the PPL group.

                                    Sorry not to have responded sooner. I have been away the past week.

                                    David