Re: [PPLetterpress] Aging plates?

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 26 , May 12 3:07 PM
      They don't sound so old to me--but I would suggest at least 8 min. under
      direct sunlight. Overcast days are tricky--I gave up on using sunlight for
      this very reason. My 750 watt setup of artificial light requires about 30
      minutes to expose a plate well, but for me the consistency is worth it--I
      just finished making a 100 lpi halftone from a B&W photo that when printed
      onto glossy paper looks every bit as good as an offset or laser halftone to
      me.
      Ed
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 26 , May 12 3:15 PM
        Ed: Can you tell me more about your setup? How far do you have the bulb from
        the glass for your exposures? Do you have three 250 watt bulbs?

        Thanks.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588

        > From: "Ed Inman" <edinman@...>
        > Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 17:07:30 -0500
        > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Aging plates?
        >
        > They don't sound so old to me--but I would suggest at least 8 min. under
        > direct sunlight. Overcast days are tricky--I gave up on using sunlight for
        > this very reason. My 750 watt setup of artificial light requires about 30
        > minutes to expose a plate well, but for me the consistency is worth it--I
        > just finished making a 100 lpi halftone from a B&W photo that when printed
        > onto glossy paper looks every bit as good as an offset or laser halftone to
        > me.
        > Ed
        >

        > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Encountering problems?
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 26 , May 12 4:19 PM
          > Ed: Can you tell me more about your setup? How far do you have the bulb
          from
          > the glass for your exposures? Do you have three 250 watt bulbs?

          No, it is a single photo/AV type lamp that fits in an old "Sun Gun" from the
          60s for making movies indoors. Such lamps are available from places like
          bulbman.com or topbulb.com. I also have a second mercury lamp that I can use
          in conjunction with the main lamp--but it frankly doesn't seem to help much.
          I do try to angle the lamp from different directions during the burning
          process to give strength to the base of the artwork. This is primarily
          important when you are burning small type--to help keep things like tiny
          dots over i's from being broken off when washing out and/or printing.

          The setup is basically just an old Argyle rail type process camera from the
          70s which I use to both make the negatives and burn the plates. It was being
          thrown out by a shop going digital. I put extra foam rubber padding under
          the frame glass to keep the negative and polymer plate tight against each
          other when burning the plate. I use the lamp about four feet from the frame
          and the plate gets pretty hot. I get steel-backed plates from a local
          rubber stamp company that start out green and turn clear orange when the
          image is fully burned so you know they are ready. I think they are made by
          Jet USA.

          If you have room to set up a darkroom call around to various offset shops
          and you may be able to find a similar camera for very cheap since most
          offset shops are now direct-to-plate from computers. You can also get
          Arista lith film and the necessary A&B type developer from
          freestylecamera.com in California and it is much cheaper than what Kodak
          sells--only about 41 cents a sheet in the 8 x 10 size and it works like a
          charm.

          Ed
        • mark baisi
          Message 4 of 26 , May 12 9:21 PM
            Hello Brian,
            I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
            sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
            chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
            before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
            Mark

            Message 5 of 26 , May 13 10:21 AM
              Ed Inman wrote:

              > You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
              > this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
              > "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
              > even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
              > printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
              >
              > For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
              > Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
              > with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
              > directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
              > to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
              > from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
              > the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
              >
              > Ed

              > has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
              > mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
              > are 40W.<<<

              Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
              by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
              this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
              pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

              Gerald
            • Martin R Gutzmer
              Message 6 of 26 , May 13 10:37 AM
                But the RIPOFF guys is they will not sell the fluid to just anyone - you have to have bought the unit from them.
                God Bless,
                Martin
                I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
                sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
                chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
                before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
                Mark

                >>i wonder how someone could use the film star 2 developer fluid without the
                >fim star 2 developer unit. the unit is nothing more than a basin for the
                >fluid and two soft rollers, like wringers on an antique washing machine,
                >that evenly squeegee excess fluid off the neg. it is overpriced. >
                >best, brian

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 26 , May 13 12:20 PM
                  Ed Inman wrote:

                  > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the Letpresss group
                  > too.
                  >
                  > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical. Regular
                  > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with such low
                  > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps that someone
                  > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the plate even
                  > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck with a
                  > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                  >
                  > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15 minutes than
                  > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I typically let the
                  > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a better $10
                  > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                  >
                  > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in professional
                  > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a serious
                  > do-it-yourselfer.

                  Dear Ed

                  I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is less useful
                  than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with halftones.

                  I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here) have portable
                  suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like. Also I think
                  Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive stand-alone
                  exposure unit.

                  Gerald
                • Joel Benson
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 13 1:40 PM
                    Katie,

                    Why not use the UV fluorescent tubes that the manufacturers specify? I understand using what you have on hand (as opposed to going out and spending thousands on a new machine), but if you are going to construct a light source you might as well set up the fluorescent bulbs. You'll use far less electricity, don't have to worry about the heat from the bulbs, and you bring the exposure time down to three or four minutes. That time really adds up if you ever have to make a lot of plates!

                    Joel

                    Joel Benson
                    Dependable Letterpress
                    San Francisco

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 13 2:16 PM
                      This makes sense, but what type of fixture would one use? A regular
                      fluorescent fixture? I have a light table with fluorescent tubes. Could that
                      be adapted if I got the right UV bulbs? Is there exposure information
                      available about times, distances, etc.?

                      Katie Harper
                      Ars Brevis Press
                      Cincinnati, OH
                      513-233-9588

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 13 2:58 PM
                        The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs are 40W.

                        You'd want to mount the fixtures over whatever setup you are going to use to contact the negative to the plate. You need some kind of vacuum frame to get good contact for consistent, fine results. Ed Inman, in earlier posts, describes using the vacuum frame in his process camera, mine is homemade using a piece of scored formica and some Kreene.

                        I think there is probably exposure information either in the archives of this list, or the resource folders. The fluorescent set-ups I have seen, both "real" and homemade, have the bulbs 2-4" from the plate material. I don't know how critical that distance is.

                        Joel

                        Joel Benson
                        Dependable Letterpress
                        San Francisco

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 13 5:15 PM

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 13 6:34 PM

                            Gerald wrote:
                            > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in
                            there
                            > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system."
                            In
                            > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                            > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

                          • Brian Allen
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 13 8:31 PM
                              My homemade platemaking system was an attempt to mimic the expensive
                              machines as closely as possible. The fluorescent units I used were single
                              bulb ones, wired together and fit as closely as possible (clearance between
                              bulbs is about 1/2 inch) to get even exposure, just like the machines. I
                              think the double units put the bulbs too far apart. I got the bulbs from a
                              large lightbulb supply company in Denver. Big cities would have at least one
                              such place. Clearance to the vacuum frame was 1.5 - 2 inches.

                              My article is in the PCBA (Pacific Center for the Book Arts) journal
                              "Ampersand" Resource Issue, which comes out every few years. I also put
                              together the letterpress resource section. There are sections for
                              bookbinding, paper, conservation, typography, and so on - 52 pages of
                              addresses/links info for the book arts. Edited by Alastair Johnston.

                              I'll see about putting my article in the PPL resource area, but you'd do
                              better to buy the issue, for all the other great stuff in there - $15
                              includes postage, and you can get one by sending a check made out to: PCBA,
                              300 De Haro St., San Francisco, CA 94103. It's a volunteer organization, so
                              be patient.

                              Brian Allen
                              Mountain View, California
                              ----------
                              on 5/13/02 10:21 AM, Gerald Lange at bieler@... wrote:

                              > Ed Inman wrote:
                              >>
                              >> You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
                              >> this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
                              >> "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
                              >> even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
                              >> printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
                              >>
                              >> For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
                              >> Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
                              >> with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
                              >> directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
                              >> to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
                              >> from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
                              >> the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
                              >>
                              >> Ed

                              >> has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                              >> mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                              >> are 40W.<<<
                              >
                              > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
                              > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
                              > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                              > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."
                              >
                              > Gerald
                              >

                              > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                              >
                              > Encountering problems?
                              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                            • Silver MayKitten
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 14 5:45 AM
                                20 W. lamps may be small wattage, and only 24" long, but if your
                                vacuum frame is only 23x33" any more length is wasted. You put one
                                lamp every 6" of the width of the frame about a foot away from the
                                glass, and you get good coverage.

                                MayKitten
                                --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                                > Ed Inman wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the
                                > Letpresss group
                                > > too.
                                > >
                                > > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical.
                                > Regular
                                > > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with
                                > such low
                                > > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps
                                > that someone
                                > > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the
                                > plate even
                                > > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck
                                > with a
                                > > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                                > >
                                > > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15
                                > minutes than
                                > > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I
                                > typically let the
                                > > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a
                                > better $10
                                > > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                                > >
                                > > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in
                                > professional
                                > > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a
                                > serious
                                > > do-it-yourselfer.
                                > >

                                > Dear Ed
                                >
                                > I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is
                                > less useful
                                > than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with
                                > halftones.
                                >
                                > I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here)
                                > have portable
                                > suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like.
                                > Also I think
                                > Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive
                                > stand-alone
                                > exposure unit.
                                >
                                > Gerald

                                =====
                                Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

                                From the book, Charge of the Goddess
                                BY: Doreen Valiente

                                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                http://launch.yahoo.com
                              • Katie Harper
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 14 6:17 AM
                                  While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question for
                                  those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                                  dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                                  occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                                  small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my shop.

                                  I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                  vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                  Katie Harper
                                  Ars Brevis Press
                                  Cincinnati, OH
                                  513-233-9588
                                • Lee and Barbara Mason
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 14 6:40 AM
                                    Katie,
                                    My vacuun failed to work for awhile, turned out I had moved the machine and
                                    it was no longer perfectly level....so simple and so hard to figure out what
                                    was wrong. However in the mean time, I used a piece of foam with the plate
                                    on top and glass on top of the plate..the contact was as good as the vacuum
                                    and it worked well as the glass was pretty heavy. Of course this would not
                                    work for units that flip over.
                                    Barbara
                                    > While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question
                                    for
                                    > those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                                    > dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                                    > occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                                    > small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my
                                    shop.

                                    > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has
                                    no
                                    > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?
                                    >

                                    > Katie Harper
                                    > Ars Brevis Press
                                    > Cincinnati, OH
                                    > 513-233-9588
                                    >

                                    > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                    > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                    >
                                    > Encountering problems?
                                    > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                  • Harold Kyle
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 14 7:09 AM
                                      On 5/14/02 9:17 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
                                      > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                      > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                      Katie:

                                      I have several used vacuum pumps laying around here. If you'd like more info
                                      you can contact me off-list.

                                      Harold

                                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                      Boxcar Press
                                      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                      315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                      www.boxcarpress.com
                                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                    • Joel Benson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 14 10:41 AM
                                        Hi Ed,

                                        Sorry for the slow reply here- yes, they are called "Blacklights" on the bulbs, but they aren't purple-looking like the incandescent blacklights. They cost me about $15 each, I think. I'll look at the product numbers when I get home- though I think it is a pretty standard Phillips bulb. I use about a 4 minute exposure time for fine type, 30 to 45 seconds for big solids or halftone screens.

                                        I don't think it is the wattage that makes the difference so much as the specific wavelength of UV that the bulb gives off. I think the lamps you are using probably emit a large amount of light at one end of the UV spectrum and a lesser amount at the other end, which happens to be the end that the polymer is sensitive to. I remember a discussion of this with details about the wavelengths on either this list or LETPRESS, but I don't have it saved anywhere.

                                        It sounds like there is a lot of leeway in exactly how far the bulbs need to be from the plate material. Silver May Kitten has the bulbs a foot away, Brian Allen has his 1.5-2" away and much closer together. That seems to define a range of acceptability. Using a Stouffer scale would tell you how long your exposure needs to be for whatever set up you construct.

                                        Joel

                                        Joel Benson
                                        Dependable Letterpress
                                        San Francisco

                                        Joel wrote:
                                        >>> The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have
                                        has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                                        mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                                        are 40W.<<<

                                        To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

                                        Encountering problems?
                                        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                      • David Goodrich
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 18 5:40 PM
                                          Vivian,
                                          You are wise in inquiring before trying the Morgan Expansion Trucks. I
                                          tried some on my Columbian No 2 and found there was not enough space for
                                          them.
                                          I suggest you contact Fritz Klinke at NA Graphics, who stocks them. He
                                          can be reached at nagraph@.... He can probably tell you whether or
                                          not they will fit. If they fit, they will solve your problem.
                                          You also might want to post an inquiry to the Letpress Discussion Group.
                                          I suspect more of their people use platen presses than the PPL group.

                                          Sorry not to have responded sooner. I have been away the past week.

                                          David