Aging plates?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 26 , May 12, 2002
      I just tried an experiment with exposing a photopolymer plate with sunlight
      on a cloudy day. My instructions (from Solarplate) say to expose 5-7 minutes
      on an overcast day. The first exposure was at 5 mins and there was nothing
      on the plate. I increased exposure to about 8 mins. and got some bare
      detail, but it quickly washed out. I have tried these exposures in the past
      with mostly good luck. So this has me a bit stumped. I'm wondering if my
      plates might be old, and if aging plates require more exposure? I have no
      idea how old these plates are, but my guess would be that they are almost a
      year old, if that makes a difference. They are the type with a steel back.

      Katie Harper
      Cincinnati, OH
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 26 , May 12, 2002
        They don't sound so old to me--but I would suggest at least 8 min. under
        direct sunlight. Overcast days are tricky--I gave up on using sunlight for
        this very reason. My 750 watt setup of artificial light requires about 30
        minutes to expose a plate well, but for me the consistency is worth it--I
        just finished making a 100 lpi halftone from a B&W photo that when printed
        onto glossy paper looks every bit as good as an offset or laser halftone to
        me.
        Ed
      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 26 , May 12, 2002
          Ed: Can you tell me more about your setup? How far do you have the bulb from
          the glass for your exposures? Do you have three 250 watt bulbs?

          Thanks.

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press
          Cincinnati, OH
          513-233-9588

          > From: "Ed Inman" <edinman@...>
          > Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 17:07:30 -0500
          > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Aging plates?
          >
          > They don't sound so old to me--but I would suggest at least 8 min. under
          > direct sunlight. Overcast days are tricky--I gave up on using sunlight for
          > this very reason. My 750 watt setup of artificial light requires about 30
          > minutes to expose a plate well, but for me the consistency is worth it--I
          > just finished making a 100 lpi halftone from a B&W photo that when printed
          > onto glossy paper looks every bit as good as an offset or laser halftone to
          > me.
          > Ed
          >

          > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Encountering problems?
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

        • Ed Inman
          Message 4 of 26 , May 12, 2002
            > Ed: Can you tell me more about your setup? How far do you have the bulb
            from
            > the glass for your exposures? Do you have three 250 watt bulbs?

            No, it is a single photo/AV type lamp that fits in an old "Sun Gun" from the
            60s for making movies indoors. Such lamps are available from places like
            bulbman.com or topbulb.com. I also have a second mercury lamp that I can use
            in conjunction with the main lamp--but it frankly doesn't seem to help much.
            I do try to angle the lamp from different directions during the burning
            process to give strength to the base of the artwork. This is primarily
            important when you are burning small type--to help keep things like tiny
            dots over i's from being broken off when washing out and/or printing.

            The setup is basically just an old Argyle rail type process camera from the
            70s which I use to both make the negatives and burn the plates. It was being
            thrown out by a shop going digital. I put extra foam rubber padding under
            the frame glass to keep the negative and polymer plate tight against each
            other when burning the plate. I use the lamp about four feet from the frame
            and the plate gets pretty hot. I get steel-backed plates from a local
            rubber stamp company that start out green and turn clear orange when the
            image is fully burned so you know they are ready. I think they are made by
            Jet USA.

            If you have room to set up a darkroom call around to various offset shops
            and you may be able to find a similar camera for very cheap since most
            offset shops are now direct-to-plate from computers. You can also get
            Arista lith film and the necessary A&B type developer from
            freestylecamera.com in California and it is much cheaper than what Kodak
            sells--only about 41 cents a sheet in the 8 x 10 size and it works like a
            charm.

            Ed
          • mark baisi
            Message 5 of 26 , May 12, 2002
              Hello Brian,
              I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
              sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
              chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
              before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
              Mark

              Message 6 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                Ed Inman wrote:

                > You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
                > this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
                > "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
                > even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
                > printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
                >
                > For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
                > Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
                > with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
                > directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
                > to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
                > from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
                > the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
                >
                > Ed

                > has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                > mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                > are 40W.<<<

                Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
                by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
                this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

                Gerald
              • Martin R Gutzmer
                Message 7 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                  But the RIPOFF guys is they will not sell the fluid to just anyone - you have to have bought the unit from them.
                  God Bless,
                  Martin
                  I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
                  sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
                  chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
                  before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
                  Mark

                  >>i wonder how someone could use the film star 2 developer fluid without the
                  >fim star 2 developer unit. the unit is nothing more than a basin for the
                  >fluid and two soft rollers, like wringers on an antique washing machine,
                  >that evenly squeegee excess fluid off the neg. it is overpriced. >
                  >best, brian

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                    Ed Inman wrote:

                    > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the Letpresss group
                    > too.
                    >
                    > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical. Regular
                    > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with such low
                    > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps that someone
                    > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the plate even
                    > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck with a
                    > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                    >
                    > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15 minutes than
                    > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I typically let the
                    > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a better $10
                    > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                    >
                    > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in professional
                    > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a serious
                    > do-it-yourselfer.

                    Dear Ed

                    I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is less useful
                    than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with halftones.

                    I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here) have portable
                    suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like. Also I think
                    Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive stand-alone
                    exposure unit.

                    Gerald
                  • Joel Benson
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                      Katie,

                      Why not use the UV fluorescent tubes that the manufacturers specify? I understand using what you have on hand (as opposed to going out and spending thousands on a new machine), but if you are going to construct a light source you might as well set up the fluorescent bulbs. You'll use far less electricity, don't have to worry about the heat from the bulbs, and you bring the exposure time down to three or four minutes. That time really adds up if you ever have to make a lot of plates!

                      Joel

                      Joel Benson
                      Dependable Letterpress
                      San Francisco

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                        This makes sense, but what type of fixture would one use? A regular
                        fluorescent fixture? I have a light table with fluorescent tubes. Could that
                        be adapted if I got the right UV bulbs? Is there exposure information
                        available about times, distances, etc.?

                        Katie Harper
                        Ars Brevis Press
                        Cincinnati, OH
                        513-233-9588

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                          The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs are 40W.

                          You'd want to mount the fixtures over whatever setup you are going to use to contact the negative to the plate. You need some kind of vacuum frame to get good contact for consistent, fine results. Ed Inman, in earlier posts, describes using the vacuum frame in his process camera, mine is homemade using a piece of scored formica and some Kreene.

                          I think there is probably exposure information either in the archives of this list, or the resource folders. The fluorescent set-ups I have seen, both "real" and homemade, have the bulbs 2-4" from the plate material. I don't know how critical that distance is.

                          Joel

                          Joel Benson
                          Dependable Letterpress
                          San Francisco

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 13, 2002

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 13, 2002

                              Gerald wrote:
                              > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in
                              there
                              > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system."
                              In
                              > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                              > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

                            • Brian Allen
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                                My homemade platemaking system was an attempt to mimic the expensive
                                machines as closely as possible. The fluorescent units I used were single
                                bulb ones, wired together and fit as closely as possible (clearance between
                                bulbs is about 1/2 inch) to get even exposure, just like the machines. I
                                think the double units put the bulbs too far apart. I got the bulbs from a
                                large lightbulb supply company in Denver. Big cities would have at least one
                                such place. Clearance to the vacuum frame was 1.5 - 2 inches.

                                My article is in the PCBA (Pacific Center for the Book Arts) journal
                                "Ampersand" Resource Issue, which comes out every few years. I also put
                                together the letterpress resource section. There are sections for
                                bookbinding, paper, conservation, typography, and so on - 52 pages of
                                addresses/links info for the book arts. Edited by Alastair Johnston.

                                I'll see about putting my article in the PPL resource area, but you'd do
                                better to buy the issue, for all the other great stuff in there - $15
                                includes postage, and you can get one by sending a check made out to: PCBA,
                                300 De Haro St., San Francisco, CA 94103. It's a volunteer organization, so
                                be patient.

                                Brian Allen
                                Mountain View, California
                                ----------
                                on 5/13/02 10:21 AM, Gerald Lange at bieler@... wrote:

                                > Ed Inman wrote:
                                >>
                                >> You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
                                >> this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
                                >> "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
                                >> even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
                                >> printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
                                >>
                                >> For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
                                >> Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
                                >> with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
                                >> directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
                                >> to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
                                >> from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
                                >> the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
                                >>
                                >> Ed

                                >> has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                                >> mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                                >> are 40W.<<<
                                >
                                > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
                                > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
                                > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                                > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."
                                >
                                > Gerald
                                >

                                > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                >
                                > Encountering problems?
                                > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                              • Silver MayKitten
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                  20 W. lamps may be small wattage, and only 24" long, but if your
                                  vacuum frame is only 23x33" any more length is wasted. You put one
                                  lamp every 6" of the width of the frame about a foot away from the
                                  glass, and you get good coverage.

                                  MayKitten
                                  --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                                  > Ed Inman wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the
                                  > Letpresss group
                                  > > too.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical.
                                  > Regular
                                  > > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with
                                  > such low
                                  > > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps
                                  > that someone
                                  > > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the
                                  > plate even
                                  > > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck
                                  > with a
                                  > > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                                  > >
                                  > > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15
                                  > minutes than
                                  > > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I
                                  > typically let the
                                  > > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a
                                  > better $10
                                  > > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                                  > >
                                  > > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in
                                  > professional
                                  > > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a
                                  > serious
                                  > > do-it-yourselfer.
                                  > >

                                  > Dear Ed
                                  >
                                  > I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is
                                  > less useful
                                  > than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with
                                  > halftones.
                                  >
                                  > I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here)
                                  > have portable
                                  > suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like.
                                  > Also I think
                                  > Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive
                                  > stand-alone
                                  > exposure unit.
                                  >
                                  > Gerald

                                  =====
                                  Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

                                  From the book, Charge of the Goddess
                                  BY: Doreen Valiente

                                  LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                  http://launch.yahoo.com
                                • Katie Harper
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                    While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question for
                                    those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                                    dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                                    occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                                    small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my shop.

                                    I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                    vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                    Katie Harper
                                    Ars Brevis Press
                                    Cincinnati, OH
                                    513-233-9588
                                  • Lee and Barbara Mason
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                      Katie,
                                      My vacuun failed to work for awhile, turned out I had moved the machine and
                                      it was no longer perfectly level....so simple and so hard to figure out what
                                      was wrong. However in the mean time, I used a piece of foam with the plate
                                      on top and glass on top of the plate..the contact was as good as the vacuum
                                      and it worked well as the glass was pretty heavy. Of course this would not
                                      work for units that flip over.
                                      Barbara
                                      > While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question
                                      for
                                      > those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                                      > dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                                      > occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                                      > small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my
                                      shop.

                                      > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has
                                      no
                                      > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?
                                      >

                                      > Katie Harper
                                      > Ars Brevis Press
                                      > Cincinnati, OH
                                      > 513-233-9588
                                      >

                                      > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                      >
                                      > Encountering problems?
                                      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                    • Harold Kyle
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                        On 5/14/02 9:17 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
                                        > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                        > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                        Katie:

                                        I have several used vacuum pumps laying around here. If you'd like more info
                                        you can contact me off-list.

                                        Harold

                                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                        Boxcar Press
                                        640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                        315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                        www.boxcarpress.com
                                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                      • Joel Benson
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                          Hi Ed,

                                          Sorry for the slow reply here- yes, they are called "Blacklights" on the bulbs, but they aren't purple-looking like the incandescent blacklights. They cost me about $15 each, I think. I'll look at the product numbers when I get home- though I think it is a pretty standard Phillips bulb. I use about a 4 minute exposure time for fine type, 30 to 45 seconds for big solids or halftone screens.

                                          I don't think it is the wattage that makes the difference so much as the specific wavelength of UV that the bulb gives off. I think the lamps you are using probably emit a large amount of light at one end of the UV spectrum and a lesser amount at the other end, which happens to be the end that the polymer is sensitive to. I remember a discussion of this with details about the wavelengths on either this list or LETPRESS, but I don't have it saved anywhere.

                                          It sounds like there is a lot of leeway in exactly how far the bulbs need to be from the plate material. Silver May Kitten has the bulbs a foot away, Brian Allen has his 1.5-2" away and much closer together. That seems to define a range of acceptability. Using a Stouffer scale would tell you how long your exposure needs to be for whatever set up you construct.

                                          Joel

                                          Joel Benson
                                          Dependable Letterpress
                                          San Francisco

                                          Joel wrote:
                                          >>> The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have
                                          has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                                          mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                                          are 40W.<<<

                                          To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

                                          Encountering problems?
                                          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                        • David Goodrich
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 18, 2002
                                            Vivian,
                                            You are wise in inquiring before trying the Morgan Expansion Trucks. I
                                            tried some on my Columbian No 2 and found there was not enough space for
                                            them.
                                            I suggest you contact Fritz Klinke at NA Graphics, who stocks them. He
                                            can be reached at nagraph@.... He can probably tell you whether or
                                            not they will fit. If they fit, they will solve your problem.
                                            You also might want to post an inquiry to the Letpress Discussion Group.
                                            I suspect more of their people use platen presses than the PPL group.

                                            Sorry not to have responded sooner. I have been away the past week.

                                            David