On driving a C&P Oldstyle press

  • Gene
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2006
      All C&P Oldstyle presses can have a treadle and hook, as that is how they were
      shipped new. The only issue might be if the main drive shaft has been replaced
      at some time with a new one that does not have the "crook" for the treadle hook
      to attach to.

      Look under the press, follow the shaft that is attached to the big flywheel, and
      see if there us a "U" shaped bend in the shaft right in the center of it's length.
      If so, then you are all set to attach a treadle and crook.

      You can order a brand new reproduction treadle and hook for any Old Style
      C&P press from Hern Iron Works.

      http://www.hernironworks.com/treadles.html

      These presses are still relatively common, and if your press does not have
      a "crook" in the main drive shaft, and you want to add a treadle, then you
      can either look for a replacement main drive shaft, or you can just look for
      another press for "parts" or maybe it would be in better shape than the
      one you have. The 8x12 size is the easiest to treadle.

      There were a variety of electric motors made to retrofit to the old platen
      presses. Kimble made one. You only need a 1/4 hp motor. The Kimble
      motor had a leather drive wheel that made contact with the outside
      flat surface of the big flywheel on the press and ran the press through
      this friction coupling of the drive to the big flywheel.

      Many people will attach a new small motor to the press through a belt
      driving the outside of the big flywheel. In modern motors, you don't
      get speed control with the motor, but rather with a "variable speed drive"
      which is a little box of electronics that "drives" the motor. These are
      available from many, many sources.

      Gene McCluney
      Old Van Buren Press
    • Sean Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2006
        Thanks for the help regarding my new press. It appears that the drive shaft has indeed
        been replaced.

        I would like to find a U shaped shaft to have the option of a treadle. If anyone has one, I
        would like to here from you.

        Thanks again,
        Sean

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <mccluney2@...> wrote:

        > All C&P Oldstyle presses can have a treadle and hook, as that is how they were
        > shipped new. The only issue might be if the main drive shaft has been replaced
        > at some time with a new one that does not have the "crook" for the treadle hook
        > to attach to.
        >
        > Look under the press, follow the shaft that is attached to the big flywheel, and
        > see if there us a "U" shaped bend in the shaft right in the center of it's length.
        > If so, then you are all set to attach a treadle and crook.
        >
        > You can order a brand new reproduction treadle and hook for any Old Style
        > C&P press from Hern Iron Works.
        >
        > http://www.hernironworks.com/treadles.html
        >
        > These presses are still relatively common, and if your press does not have
        > a "crook" in the main drive shaft, and you want to add a treadle, then you
        > can either look for a replacement main drive shaft, or you can just look for
        > another press for "parts" or maybe it would be in better shape than the
        > one you have. The 8x12 size is the easiest to treadle.
        >
        > There were a variety of electric motors made to retrofit to the old platen
        > presses. Kimble made one. You only need a 1/4 hp motor. The Kimble
        > motor had a leather drive wheel that made contact with the outside
        > flat surface of the big flywheel on the press and ran the press through
        > this friction coupling of the drive to the big flywheel.
        >
        > Many people will attach a new small motor to the press through a belt
        > driving the outside of the big flywheel. In modern motors, you don't
        > get speed control with the motor, but rather with a "variable speed drive"
        > which is a little box of electronics that "drives" the motor. These are
        > available from many, many sources.
        >
        > Gene McCluney
        > Old Van Buren Press

      • Gary Mordhorst
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2006
          Hello Sean,

          I have one from a 10 X 15. It is 43" long and 1.5" in diameter. If
          this will work contact me off list.

          Best,

          Gary Mordhorst
          AccuColor Plus, Inc.
          www.accucolor.com
          (773) 227-7788

          Conventional offset Digital offset Contemporary
          letterpress