Re: [PPLetterpress] color edging

  • Vivian Leung
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2006
      Hi Glenn,

      If you want to have the professionals do it...

      Thomas Macho & Myles McHale
      R. Marchetti and Bro., Inc.
      87 Richardson St
      Brooklyn New York
      11211 USA
      Ph: 718-387-4772
      Fax: 718-387-4799
      marchbro87@...
      Edge Gilding Services
      Minimum order: $65
      Ships within United States

      Vivian
      -------
      vivian@...

      9SpotMonk Design Co. (TM)
      Exquisitely Modern Design & Letterpress

      Box 193 Glen Rock, NJ 07452
      ring/201 795 1668 fax/201 221 8867
      http://www.9spotmonk.com
      -------

      On May 4, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Glenn Schuster wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
      > custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
      > that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
      > several customers asking for that option but not sure
      > of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Glenn

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > ~-->
      > Everything you need is one click away. Make Yahoo! your home page
      > now.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

    • heidrun mumper-drumm
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2006
        Glenn:

        I've done this for business cards [duplex weight: 110-120#], as follows:

        -stack about 25 printed cards and put additional cardstock top and bottom of stack [about 3 extra top and bottom],
        -cut 2 pieces of wood [plywood thickness] somewhat smaller than the card size and place on top and bottom of stack,
        -clamp with 2 plastic clamps [from the hardware store],
        -using acrylic paint, not too wet, paint the edges with a foam brush,
        -let dry

        When the stack is dry, fan the stack a bit to separate the cards...the acrylic paint tends to want to glue them together. You'll 'lose' a few at the top and bottom, but that's what the extra card stock is for.

        It takes a little while to get the hang of this. It's very labor intensive, but not too bad if you're doing a small run of business cards [250-500].

        Otherwise, go with the pros.

        Heidrun

        >If you want to have the professionals do it...
        >
        >Thomas Macho & Myles McHale
        >R. Marchetti and Bro., Inc.
        >87 Richardson St
        >Brooklyn New York
        >11211 USA
        >Ph: 718-387-4772
        >Fax: 718-387-4799
        >marchbro87@...
        >Edge Gilding Services
        >Minimum order: $65
        >Ships within United States
        >
        >Vivian
        >-------
        >vivian@...
        >
        >9SpotMonk Design Co. (TM)
        >Exquisitely Modern Design & Letterpress
        >
        >Box 193 Glen Rock, NJ 07452
        >ring/201 795 1668 fax/201 221 8867
        >http://www.9spotmonk.com
        >-------
        >

        >On May 4, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Glenn Schuster wrote:
        >
        >> Hi All,
        >>
        >> Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
        >> custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
        >> that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
        >> several customers asking for that option but not sure
        >> of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
        >>
        >> Any help would be appreciated.
        >>
        >> Glenn

        >> http://mail.yahoo.com

        >> ~-->
        >> Everything you need is one click away. Make Yahoo! your home page
        >> now.
        >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM
        >>

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Heidrun Mumper-Drumm + Design and Letterpress
        drummbeat@...
        tel 626 583 8166