Re: [PPLetterpress] color edging

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4 6:10 AM
      Another tip: don¹t try this on a design that bleeds (with deep impression
      printing). Your edge painting will leech into interior of the card. We found
      this out the hard way.

      Harold

      On 5/4/06 7:11 AM, "Silver MayKitten" <maykitten1@...> wrote:

      > Stack the paper as you would to pad it, but no or light weight
      > only on top

      Boxcar Press

    • Vivian Leung
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4 6:58 AM
        Hi Glenn,

        If you want to have the professionals do it...

        Thomas Macho & Myles McHale
        R. Marchetti and Bro., Inc.
        87 Richardson St
        Brooklyn New York
        11211 USA
        Ph: 718-387-4772
        Fax: 718-387-4799
        marchbro87@...
        Edge Gilding Services
        Minimum order: $65
        Ships within United States

        Vivian
        -------
        vivian@...

        9SpotMonk Design Co. (TM)
        Exquisitely Modern Design & Letterpress

        Box 193 Glen Rock, NJ 07452
        ring/201 795 1668 fax/201 221 8867
        http://www.9spotmonk.com
        -------

        On May 4, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Glenn Schuster wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
        > custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
        > that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
        > several customers asking for that option but not sure
        > of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Glenn

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > ~-->
        > Everything you need is one click away. Make Yahoo! your home page
        > now.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

      • heidrun mumper-drumm
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4 8:19 AM
          Glenn:

          I've done this for business cards [duplex weight: 110-120#], as follows:

          -stack about 25 printed cards and put additional cardstock top and bottom of stack [about 3 extra top and bottom],
          -cut 2 pieces of wood [plywood thickness] somewhat smaller than the card size and place on top and bottom of stack,
          -clamp with 2 plastic clamps [from the hardware store],
          -using acrylic paint, not too wet, paint the edges with a foam brush,
          -let dry

          When the stack is dry, fan the stack a bit to separate the cards...the acrylic paint tends to want to glue them together. You'll 'lose' a few at the top and bottom, but that's what the extra card stock is for.

          It takes a little while to get the hang of this. It's very labor intensive, but not too bad if you're doing a small run of business cards [250-500].

          Otherwise, go with the pros.

          Heidrun

          >If you want to have the professionals do it...
          >
          >Thomas Macho & Myles McHale
          >R. Marchetti and Bro., Inc.
          >87 Richardson St
          >Brooklyn New York
          >11211 USA
          >Ph: 718-387-4772
          >Fax: 718-387-4799
          >marchbro87@...
          >Edge Gilding Services
          >Minimum order: $65
          >Ships within United States
          >
          >Vivian
          >-------
          >vivian@...
          >
          >9SpotMonk Design Co. (TM)
          >Exquisitely Modern Design & Letterpress
          >
          >Box 193 Glen Rock, NJ 07452
          >ring/201 795 1668 fax/201 221 8867
          >http://www.9spotmonk.com
          >-------
          >

          >On May 4, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Glenn Schuster wrote:
          >
          >> Hi All,
          >>
          >> Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
          >> custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
          >> that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
          >> several customers asking for that option but not sure
          >> of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
          >>
          >> Any help would be appreciated.
          >>
          >> Glenn

          >> http://mail.yahoo.com

          >> ~-->
          >> Everything you need is one click away. Make Yahoo! your home page
          >> now.
          >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM
          >>

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Heidrun Mumper-Drumm + Design and Letterpress
          drummbeat@...
          tel 626 583 8166