color edging

  • Glenn Schuster
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2006
      Hi All,

      Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
      custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
      that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
      several customers asking for that option but not sure
      of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Glenn

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Silver MayKitten
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2006
        Make a solution of water and 15-20% alcohol. Use food colouring
        or other water miscable pigment to come up with the desired
        colour. Test the colour by applying the solution to a scrap
        sheet before proceeding with the brush you will use to tip the
        edges.

        Stack the paper as you would to pad it, but no or light weight
        only on top. Brush on 3-4 coats of colour and then check to see
        if it is penetrating to the desired extent. Adjust application
        accordingly.

        MaiKätzchen

        --- Glenn Schuster <typepresser@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
        > custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
        > that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
        > several customers asking for that option but not sure
        > of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Glenn

        > around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess
        BY: Doreen Valiente
      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2006
          Another tip: don¹t try this on a design that bleeds (with deep impression
          printing). Your edge painting will leech into interior of the card. We found
          this out the hard way.

          Harold

          On 5/4/06 7:11 AM, "Silver MayKitten" <maykitten1@...> wrote:

          > Stack the paper as you would to pad it, but no or light weight
          > only on top

          Boxcar Press

        • Vivian Leung
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2006
            Hi Glenn,

            If you want to have the professionals do it...

            Thomas Macho & Myles McHale
            R. Marchetti and Bro., Inc.
            87 Richardson St
            Brooklyn New York
            11211 USA
            Ph: 718-387-4772
            Fax: 718-387-4799
            marchbro87@...
            Edge Gilding Services
            Minimum order: $65
            Ships within United States

            Vivian
            -------
            vivian@...

            9SpotMonk Design Co. (TM)
            Exquisitely Modern Design & Letterpress

            Box 193 Glen Rock, NJ 07452
            ring/201 795 1668 fax/201 221 8867
            http://www.9spotmonk.com
            -------

            On May 4, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Glenn Schuster wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
            > custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
            > that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
            > several customers asking for that option but not sure
            > of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Glenn

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            > ~-->
            > Everything you need is one click away. Make Yahoo! your home page
            > now.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

          • heidrun mumper-drumm
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2006
              Glenn:

              I've done this for business cards [duplex weight: 110-120#], as follows:

              -stack about 25 printed cards and put additional cardstock top and bottom of stack [about 3 extra top and bottom],
              -cut 2 pieces of wood [plywood thickness] somewhat smaller than the card size and place on top and bottom of stack,
              -clamp with 2 plastic clamps [from the hardware store],
              -using acrylic paint, not too wet, paint the edges with a foam brush,
              -let dry

              When the stack is dry, fan the stack a bit to separate the cards...the acrylic paint tends to want to glue them together. You'll 'lose' a few at the top and bottom, but that's what the extra card stock is for.

              It takes a little while to get the hang of this. It's very labor intensive, but not too bad if you're doing a small run of business cards [250-500].

              Otherwise, go with the pros.

              Heidrun

              >If you want to have the professionals do it...
              >
              >Thomas Macho & Myles McHale
              >R. Marchetti and Bro., Inc.
              >87 Richardson St
              >Brooklyn New York
              >11211 USA
              >Ph: 718-387-4772
              >Fax: 718-387-4799
              >marchbro87@...
              >Edge Gilding Services
              >Minimum order: $65
              >Ships within United States
              >
              >Vivian
              >-------
              >vivian@...
              >
              >9SpotMonk Design Co. (TM)
              >Exquisitely Modern Design & Letterpress
              >
              >Box 193 Glen Rock, NJ 07452
              >ring/201 795 1668 fax/201 221 8867
              >http://www.9spotmonk.com
              >-------
              >

              >On May 4, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Glenn Schuster wrote:
              >
              >> Hi All,
              >>
              >> Anyone have knowledge of edging a printed piece with a
              >> custom color. I am speaking of the "side" of a card
              >> that would normally be the color of the stock. I have
              >> several customers asking for that option but not sure
              >> of the process. I think engraving ink is used...?
              >>
              >> Any help would be appreciated.
              >>
              >> Glenn

              >> http://mail.yahoo.com

              >> ~-->
              >> Everything you need is one click away. Make Yahoo! your home page
              >> now.
              >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM
              >>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Heidrun Mumper-Drumm + Design and Letterpress
              drummbeat@...
              tel 626 583 8166