Laser Engraving for letterpress

  • author50401
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 6:02 AM
      I work for a company that has four laser engraving machines (used for
      imprinting serial numbers on anmeplates and labels). I would think
      that the machines could be used for some types of work, but that any
      thin lines would not have sufficient support (i.e. the
      traditional "shoulder" which supports small dots and lines.

      I'd have to say that the above is not a true statement, but just a
      suppposition. I do know that laser engraving is being used for
      production of rubber dies for some packaging applications.

      John Henry
    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19 12:29 PM
        > I work for a company that has four laser engraving machines (used for
        > imprinting serial numbers on anmeplates and labels). I would think
        > that the machines could be used for some types of work, but that any
        > thin lines would not have sufficient support (i.e. the
        > traditional "shoulder" which supports small dots and lines....
        > John Henry

        They have a large laser engraver at Art Center College of Design.
        Several students have created alphabets and imaging for their work at
        Archetype Press. Quite impressive.

        One student produced some quite accurate foot high letterforms that
        would certainly act as a replacement for wood type. The cutting was
        on masonite and was straight down without shoulder. Several of the
        images however were fine line and these seem to reproduce quite well.

        The problem here is the quality of the typographic surface, how
        receptive is it to ink and how well it facilitates ink transfer, etc, as
        well as the fitting of a base to the surface piece. This has to be
        done quite accurately to achieve a uniform type high printing surface.