personal responsibility - was snots

  • michael babcock | interrobang
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006
      here's my take on this.

      i've believed this for a number of years as it has always been easy
      to get free software and cracks to serialize them. (except Quark...)

      if you make money using any particular piece of software, be it a
      font or application, you ought to buy it.

      it's really that simple and sensible. how can someone justify the
      $600 price tag of some software if they only dabble? and even when
      you DO make money from software, the prices are harsh. the day gig
      has 10 seats we need to license for now. Adobe CS 2? not yet thanks.

      i know that leaves several genre of software un-acknowledged, like
      games, but i don't waste my time with such trivialities so they
      aren't in my lexicon, and i buy music in meatspace. in fact am slowly
      replacing my jewel cased cd's with japanese mini-lp's as they are
      reissued. just received wire's 'pink flag' and 'chairs missing' from
      cdjapan.co.jp/. as in all things, it's all about the presentation.

      with regard to Gerald's previous post regarding bundled fonts
      devaluing digital type, i'd extend that back to the computer grossly
      devaluing typesetting and printing. for that matter, polymer cheapens
      letterpress as well. sad but true.

      oh, and don't pirate porn either. those folk are trying to make a
      living as well...

      best, m | interrobangletterpress.com | linotypesetting.com

      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2006
        Hi

        Yes, I would agree. A lot of junk. But quite frankly, I think you
        could say, and it has been said, that machine comp cheapened
        letterpress as well. Eh!

        But, a serious note. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.
        Digital type reproduced via the photopolymer plate process can be the
        creme de la creme. Hey, or I wouldn't have gone over. It's really just
        a matter of application and will, and getting over whatever. And, of course, getting serious about what we are doing. Ouch.

        > with regard to Gerald's previous post regarding bundled fonts
        > devaluing digital type, i'd extend that back to the computer grossly
        > devaluing typesetting and printing. for that matter, polymer cheapens
        > letterpress as well. sad but true.
      • Austin
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2006
          Gerald Lange wrote:

          >Hi
          >
          >Yes, I would agree. A lot of junk. But quite frankly, I think you
          >could say, and it has been said, that machine comp cheapened
          >letterpress as well. Eh!

          The whole idea of "blame the computer" is an old trick to find some way
          to avoid responsibility for the quality of one's work. I have heard this
          all my life. "I can't do this or I can't do that cause the computer is
          down." Or "That is just what the computer did".

          Quality of composition is not a function of the machine be it Linotype
          or Computer set digital type. Quality is a function of the individual
          pounding the keys.

          I am presently building a page from a book on the history of Kentucke
          printed in 1794. Inter letter spacing is used to achieve the illusion
          of larger size. This is an example of composition where a few sizes of a
          single face are used judiciously to present a very pleasing page. Many
          modern typesetters would be very critical of the line endings, word
          breaks, and various other no no's. But my priority is to see the page as
          a whole.

          To my way of thinking - If Machine Composition including Computer
          generated digital type has impacted composition in any way at all, it
          has lessened the need for personal decision making in composition. The
          attitude which has become accepted is - If you can us a computer
          keyboard, you can set type. With more faces and sizes available, there
          is a tendency to "let the machine do it". The ingenuity in old time
          composition is no longer necessary. I find this very discouraging.

          The challenge for the modern day typesetter is to use technology to do
          what conforms to the basic guidelines of good composition and not just
          throw in some 15.5 point type "cause it fits". Horizontal and vertical
          spacing can be used to create mass and focus for a page. It doesn't take
          multiple faces in various weights.

          Just my one cents worth.

          --

          Austin Jones